Moment of Interita about x-axis in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a plate with constant mass per unit area bounded by a specific curve. The moment of inertia is defined as the integral of y^2 times the density over the area. Using polar coordinates, the integral becomes r^2 times sin^2(theta) times the density integrated over the region. The question asks for suggestions on how to evaluate the integral to complete the solution.
jegues

Homework Statement

A plate with constant mass per unit area [tex]\rho[/tex] is bounded by the curve [tex](x^{2} +y^{2})^{2} = 9(x^{2} - y^{2})[/tex] . Find its moment of inertia about the x-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay well first I plugged in,

[tex]x=rcos\theta,y=rsin\theta[/tex]

into my equation and simplified a little giving me the following result,

[tex]r^{2} = 9cos(2\theta)[/tex]

Now I know the moment of inertia about the x-axis is defined to be,

[tex]\int \int_{R} y^{2} \rho dA[/tex]

Now if I want to consider this in polar coordinates would it simply be,

[tex]\int^{\beta}_{\alpha} \int^{r_{2}}_{r_{1}} r^{2}sin^{2}\theta \rho rdrd\theta[/tex]

I'm a little confused on how the bounding curve plays into this problem.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright I've done some work on the question and basically I've got up to this point in my integration and I get stuck.

This problem is really only an "evaluate the integral" problem at this point.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to compute the rest of this integral? (If it's correct up to that point)

Attachments

• MT101.jpg
    MT101.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 444
  • MT102.jpg
    MT102.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 424

What is moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates?

The moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion about the x-axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass around the x-axis and is calculated by integrating the squared distance of each infinitesimal mass element from the x-axis.

How is moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the moment of inertia about the x-axis is calculated using the polar coordinate system, which takes into account the distance of each mass element from the x-axis and their angle relative to it. In Cartesian coordinates, the moment of inertia is calculated using the rectangular coordinate system, which only takes into account the distance of each mass element from the x-axis.

Why is it important to calculate moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates?

Calculating the moment of inertia about the x-axis in polar coordinates is important in understanding an object's rotational motion about that axis. It helps in predicting the object's behavior and stability, and is also used in various engineering and scientific applications.

What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates is: Ix = ∫r2ρ(r,θ)^2 dA, where Ix is the moment of inertia about the x-axis, ρ(r,θ) is the density function, and dA is the infinitesimal area element.

How can the moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia about x-axis in polar coordinates is used in various real-world applications, such as designing rotating machinery, analyzing the stability of structures, and determining the trajectory of objects in motion. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and astronomy to study the behavior of rotating bodies.