1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment/Tension problem

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is known that a force with a moment of 7840 lb in about D is required to straighten the fence post CD. If a=8in. ,b=52 in., and d=112 in., determine the tension that must be developed in the cable of winch puller AB to create the required moment about point D.

2. Relevant equations
    Find angle AED = arctan (52/120) = 23.43degrees
    Use M =D x F ; M=7840lb in, D=ED=112 in, F=unknown
    Substitute
    use algebra to find T(AB)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached my attempt but i think I missed something because when i check it does not check. 176.05 x sin23.43 does NOT = 7840 (given)
    Now i am stuck:frown:
    Would someone please give me a little nudge/ where did i go wrong? What i am not seeing?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi fableblue! :smile:

I can't see your attachment yet, but I notice that your answer is out by a factor of 11.2. which looks suspiciously like d … does that help? :redface:

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    Not really:blushing: but thanks, tiny-tim.
    May be when you are able to see the attachment you see what/where my problem lies.

I am going to try it again later on with the use of the law of cosins. What is throwing me off is the pole not being straight. Can I use[tex]\angle[/tex]EDC, which is at the base on the post that needs to be strightened? [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC=~59[tex]\circ[/tex], I used the law of sines for that but it does not look right; [tex]\frac{112sin(23.43)}{52}[/tex]
    Can i use that angle?

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When finding torque using T = rFsinθ, θ is the angle between r and F. Consider the angle ECD.

6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    Thank you,
    I also was looking at that angle, actually i was looking at ALL the angles:wink:. But now i can see why. And i am going to assume, from your reply, that the angles are valid no matter if the post is leaning or straight. Now that i think about it the problem is looking for the intial tension in the cable.

So we get r=52sin81.25, to get the [tex]\angle[/tex] of 81.25[tex]\circ[/tex] i used arctan(52/8) and oppisite interior angles are =, and the used algebra and my answer is F=152.544lbs.
    Does that look about right?

7. Apr 5, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Not exactly. The way I look at it, r is the length of the post from D to C. Solve for that distance. The angle that you need is BCD. (Finding the angle of 81.25° is a useful step along the way.)

8. Apr 5, 2009 #7
    OK so r=[tex]\sqrt{(8^2 + 52^2)}[/tex]=52.61 in the Mp=rFsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]; substitute- 7840 lb in = 52.61sin81.25F; do algebra and F=147.29 lbs= tension in cable ABC.
    Is this correct? How do i go about checking it?

9. Apr 5, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Your r is correct, but your angle is still wrong. Find angle BCD.

10. Apr 5, 2009 #9
    :cry:deep breath, ok i should have looked at my drawing because then i would have seen that [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC and [tex]\angle[/tex] ECD were not oppisite interior angles:blushing:.
    What i did this time was use 180-81.25 for [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC=98.75 and then i used the law of cosins to find side EC =130.78 and from there i used the law of cosines again to find [tex]\angle[/tex]ECD=57.83, then i used Mp=rFsin[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] F=7840/(52.61sin57.83) = 176.04:uhh: Is this correct? That is my intial result way back in the begining.

I see that the angle should be 89.78 then F=149.02 and 7840~(52.61sin89.78) * 149.02 i found this through some algebra but now i am trying to see why i can not get it trough trig

I really do apperciate the help you are giving me.
    Thank You:smile:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  11. Apr 5, 2009 #10

Doc Al

That looks right to me.

I don't understand what you're doing here. Where does that angle of 89.78° come from?

12. Apr 5, 2009 #11
    I did some switching around of things to try and make it fit:shy:

So are you saying that my intial results are correct? How do i go about checking this? I substitute 176.04 in for F and they do not = each other. 7840 = ....wait a minute...:eek: SHAZAM>>>>:bugeye: I was checking my solution the WRONG way:frown: not using the whole equation:redface: i was leaving out sin57.83. WOW
    So the way that i did it intially is that a correct way? r=112sin23.43 and TAB= F and i understood what i was doing so is the way i did W A Y back there correct?

Thanks a bunch

13. Apr 5, 2009 #12

Doc Al

I'd say that your initial method was unorthodox (at least to me), but correct. The "obvious" way to define rFsinθ in this problem is to have r be the distance DC, since we are finding the torque on the post. But there's nothing stopping you from measuring r from D to any point along the line of the force, since the torque will be the same. You used r = the distance DE and the associated angle. That works. :wink:

14. Apr 5, 2009 #13
    Yes, that was because i was told that a force/torque is the same anywhere in the post. It seemed to easy for me that is why I did not have faith in my result and all a long is was the way i was checking it.

Thank You

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook