Calculating Tension for Fence Post Straightening

• Thread starter fableblue
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving finding the tension in a cable needed to create a required torque about a certain point. The solution involved calculating the angle and length of the post, using the law of cosines and law of sines, and using the equation T = rFsinθ to find the tension. The initial method used to solve the problem was deemed unorthodox but correct.
fableblue

Homework Statement

It is known that a force with a moment of 7840 lb in about D is required to straighten the fence post CD. If a=8in. ,b=52 in., and d=112 in., determine the tension that must be developed in the cable of winch puller AB to create the required moment about point D.

Homework Equations

Find angle AED = arctan (52/120) = 23.43degrees
Use M =D x F ; M=7840lb in, D=ED=112 in, F=unknown
Substitute
use algebra to find T(AB)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my attempt but i think I missed something because when i check it does not check. 176.05 x sin23.43 does NOT = 7840 (given)
Now i am stuck:frown:
Would someone please give me a little nudge/ where did i go wrong? What i am not seeing?
Thanks

Attachments

• Equilibrium 2001.jpg
    Equilibrium 2001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fableblue! :smile:

I can't see your attachment yet, but I notice that your answer is out by a factor of 11.2. which looks suspiciously like d … does that help? :redface:

Not really:blushing: but thanks, tiny-tim.
May be when you are able to see the attachment you see what/where my problem lies.

I am going to try it again later on with the use of the law of cosins. What is throwing me off is the pole not being straight. Can I use[tex]\angle[/tex]EDC, which is at the base on the post that needs to be strightened? [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC=~59[tex]\circ[/tex], I used the law of sines for that but it does not look right; [tex]\frac{112sin(23.43)}{52}[/tex]
Can i use that angle?

When finding torque using T = rFsinθ, θ is the angle between r and F. Consider the angle ECD.

Thank you,
I also was looking at that angle, actually i was looking at ALL the angles:wink:. But now i can see why. And i am going to assume, from your reply, that the angles are valid no matter if the post is leaning or straight. Now that i think about it the problem is looking for the intial tension in the cable.

So we get r=52sin81.25, to get the [tex]\angle[/tex] of 81.25[tex]\circ[/tex] i used arctan(52/8) and oppisite interior angles are =, and the used algebra and my answer is F=152.544lbs.
Does that look about right?

fableblue said:
So we get r=52sin81.25, to get the [tex]\angle[/tex] of 81.25[tex]\circ[/tex] i used arctan(52/8) and oppisite interior angles are =, and the used algebra and my answer is F=152.544lbs.
Does that look about right?
Not exactly. The way I look at it, r is the length of the post from D to C. Solve for that distance. The angle that you need is BCD. (Finding the angle of 81.25° is a useful step along the way.)

OK so r=[tex]\sqrt{(8^2 + 52^2)}[/tex]=52.61 in the Mp=rFsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]; substitute- 7840 lb in = 52.61sin81.25F; do algebra and F=147.29 lbs= tension in cable ABC.
Is this correct? How do i go about checking it?

fableblue said:
OK so r=[tex]\sqrt{(8^2 + 52^2)}[/tex]=52.61 in the Mp=rFsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]; substitute- 7840 lb in = 52.61sin81.25F; do algebra and F=147.29 lbs= tension in cable ABC.
Is this correct? How do i go about checking it?
Your r is correct, but your angle is still wrong. Find angle BCD.

:cry:deep breath, ok i should have looked at my drawing because then i would have seen that [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC and [tex]\angle[/tex] ECD were not oppisite interior angles:blushing:.
What i did this time was use 180-81.25 for [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC=98.75 and then i used the law of cosins to find side EC =130.78 and from there i used the law of cosines again to find [tex]\angle[/tex]ECD=57.83, then i used Mp=rFsin[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] F=7840/(52.61sin57.83) = 176.04:uhh: Is this correct? That is my intial result way back in the begining.

I see that the angle should be 89.78 then F=149.02 and 7840~(52.61sin89.78) * 149.02 i found this through some algebra but now i am trying to see why i can not get it trough trig

I really do apperciate the help you are giving me.
Thank You:smile:

Last edited:
fableblue said:
:cry:deep breath, ok i should have looked at my drawing because then i would have seen that [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC and [tex]\angle[/tex] ECD were not oppisite interior angles:blushing:.
What i did this time was use 180-81.25 for [tex]\angle[/tex]EDC=98.75 and then i used the law of cosins to find side EC =130.78 and from there i used the law of cosines again to find [tex]\angle[/tex]ECD=57.83, then i used Mp=rFsin[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] F=7840/(52.61sin57.83) = 176.04:uhh: Is this correct? That is my intial result way back in the begining.
That looks right to me.

I see that the angle should be 89.78 then F=149.02 and 7840~(52.61sin89.78) * 149.02 i found this through some algebra but now i am trying to see why i can not get it trough trig
I don't understand what you're doing here. Where does that angle of 89.78° come from?

I did some switching around of things to try and make it fit:shy:

So are you saying that my intial results are correct? How do i go about checking this? I substitute 176.04 in for F and they do not = each other. 7840 = ...wait a minute...:eek: SHAZAM>>>>:bugeye: I was checking my solution the WRONG way:frown: not using the whole equation:redface: i was leaving out sin57.83. WOW
So the way that i did it intially is that a correct way? r=112sin23.43 and TAB= F and i understood what i was doing so is the way i did W A Y back there correct?

Thanks a bunch

fableblue said:
So the way that i did it intially is that a correct way? r=112sin23.43 and TAB= F and i understood what i was doing so is the way i did W A Y back there correct?
I'd say that your initial method was unorthodox (at least to me), but correct. The "obvious" way to define rFsinθ in this problem is to have r be the distance DC, since we are finding the torque on the post. But there's nothing stopping you from measuring r from D to any point along the line of the force, since the torque will be the same. You used r = the distance DE and the associated angle. That works. :wink:

Yes, that was because i was told that a force/torque is the same anywhere in the post. It seemed to easy for me that is why I did not have faith in my result and all a long is was the way i was checking it.

Thank You

Last edited:

1. What is a moment/tension problem?

A moment/tension problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the tension force in a system of ropes or wires under the influence of a moment or torque. It is commonly encountered in engineering and mechanics.

2. How do you solve a moment/tension problem?

To solve a moment/tension problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the system and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use equations of equilibrium, such as the sum of forces and moments equaling zero, to solve for the unknown tension force.

3. What factors affect the tension force in a moment/tension problem?

The tension force in a moment/tension problem is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied moment or torque, as well as the geometry and material properties of the ropes or wires in the system. Other factors, such as friction and weight, may also play a role in certain situations.

4. Can a moment/tension problem have more than one solution?

Yes, in some cases, a moment/tension problem may have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are multiple unknown tension forces in the system and the equations of equilibrium are not sufficient to solve for all of them. In such cases, additional information or assumptions may be needed to determine the correct solution.

5. How can moment/tension problems be applied in real-world situations?

Moment/tension problems are commonly used in engineering and construction, such as in the design of bridges, cranes, and other structures. They can also be applied in everyday situations, such as calculating the tension force in a rope used to lift a heavy object or in a pulley system.