What is the physical meaning of the commutator of L^2 and x_i?

• Thread starter mat1z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the task is to compute the commutator of L^2 with all components of the r-vector. This task is not commonly found in books. The known information is that [L_i,x_j]=i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk} x_k, and the approach is to use summation. The result of [L^2,x_j] is i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk} (L_i x_k + x_k L_i). There is a physical meaning to this result in quantum mechanics, as it indicates that the corresponding physical magnitudes cannot be simultaneously measured. The value of the commutator can also determine the measurability of observables.
mat1z
Task: The task is to compute the commutator of L^2 with all components of the r-vector. It seems to be an unusual task for I was unable to find it in any book.

Known stuff: I know that [tex][L_i,x_j]=i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk} x_k[/tex] ([tex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex] being the Levi-Civita symbol). Now I would go about as follows (summation implied):

My attempt: [tex][L^2,x_j]=[L_iL_i,x_j]=L_i[L_i,x_j]+[L_i,x_j]L_i=i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk} (L_i x_k + x_k L_i)[/tex]

Question: Is this correct? Is there a physical meaning to this result other than that they do not commute (with the usual implications)?

Regards, Matti from Germany

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's correct.

When two operators commute their eigenvectors coincide. In quantum mechanics it means that the corresponding physical magnitudes can be measured simultaneously.

Alright, thanks for the reply.

So, does that mean that the only real information contained in commutators as such (and not their application, as in constructing angular momentum eigenstates) is in it being zero or not? It's clear to me that zero commutators imply instantaneous measurability but I thought maybe there was something to be seen from the "value" that the commutator takes...

mat1z said:
Alright, thanks for the reply.

So, does that mean that the only real information contained in commutators as such (and not their application, as in constructing angular momentum eigenstates) is in it being zero or not? It's clear to me that zero commutators imply instantaneous measurability but I thought maybe there was something to be seen from the "value" that the commutator takes...

Not instantaneous measurements, but simultaneous diagonalization--you will be able to find eigenstates of both A and B if [A,B]=0.
Having a non-zero commutators means the observables cannot be simultaneously known (cf. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle).

jdwood983 said:
Not instantaneous measurements, but simultaneous diagonalization--you will be able to find eigenstates of both A and B if [A,B]=0.
Having a non-zero commutators means the observables cannot be simultaneously known (cf. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle).

Sorry, simultaneous measurements is what I was trying to say, of course. Thanks.

What is the commutator of L^2 with x_i?

The commutator of L^2 with x_i is a mathematical operation that determines the extent to which the operators for angular momentum and position can be simultaneously measured or known for a particle.

How is the commutator of L^2 with x_i calculated?

The commutator of L^2 with x_i is calculated by taking the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the operators in reverse order, and then dividing by the imaginary unit i.

What does the commutator of L^2 with x_i tell us about a particle?

The commutator of L^2 with x_i tells us about the uncertainty in measuring both the angular momentum and position of a particle. A smaller commutator indicates a smaller uncertainty and vice versa.

Why is the commutator of L^2 with x_i important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of L^2 with x_i is important in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental property that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also plays a key role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

Are there any other operators that can be combined with L^2 to calculate a commutator?

Yes, there are other operators that can be combined with L^2 to calculate a commutator, including the operators for linear momentum, energy, and other quantum mechanical observables. Each commutator provides unique information about the particle being observed.