Momentum of ball on a pool table

In summary: If one assumes an elastic collision and a black ball more massive than the white then the problem becomes solvable....should read as follows:If one assumes an elastic collision and a black ball more massive than the white then the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is ____ m/s. (Record your three-digit answer.)
ih8pa1n

Homework Statement

Picture looks like this:
----------------------- ○ (empty space) ●
(Cue) (White ball) (Black Ball)

Mass: Cue (595g), White Ball (170g), Black Ball (155g)

Question: On the given pool table, the white ball bounces off of the black ball and moves in the direction opposite to its original direction. If the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is 3.13m/s, then the speed of the black ball immediately after the collision is _______m/s. (Record your three-digit answer)

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum
Pi=Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

0=(-3.13m/s)×(170g) + (155g)×V
532.1kgm/s = 155g×V
V= 3.43m/s
Apparently this is not the answer... What am I doing wrong??

4. Keybook Solution

Pi=Pf
MV (1) + MV (2) = MV'(1) + MV'(2)
170g×(3.13m/s) + 0 = 170g×(-0.147m/s) + (155g)V '(2)
V'(2) = 3.59m/s

How do you get (-0.147m/s)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement seems incomplete. What is the speed of the white ball before the collision?

ih8pa1n said:
If the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is 3.13m/s,
Are you sure it isn't supposed to be the speed immediately before the collision?

Likes FactChecker
If the black ball is stationary and the white ball is more massive than the black then there is no way for an elastic collision to end with the white ball reversing course. [Conservation of momentum would require the black ball to move away rapidly. Its resulting kinetic energy would exceed that of the impacting white ball]

If one assumes an elastic collision and a black ball more massive than the white then the problem becomes solvable.

Likes nasu and FactChecker
ih8pa1n said:
0=(-3.13m/s)×(170g) + (155g)×V
That equation says the system has no momentum, but the white ball must have had some before the collision.
As jjbriggs says, the masses must be wrong. Are you sure you quoted them correctly? Try swapping them around.

I actually contacted the company who published this question in their book and it has been reviewed. They sent me the correct information for the question as it was an error in printing and will be corrected in future printed copies. The question should read as follows.

"On the given pool table, the white ball traveling with a speed of 3.13 m/s strikes the black ball and then rolls in the direction opposite to its original motion.If the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is 0.147 m/s, then the speed of the black ball immediately after the collision is ____ m/s. (Record your three-digit answer.)"

This explains where the random -0.147m/s comes from. A few years late, but I hope this helps anyone else who finds this question equally as confusing.

Below is the corrected question PDF I received from the publishing company.

Attachments

• BC Physics 12 SNAP Errata 2011 Edition.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 79
Likes hmmm27, jim mcnamara, jbriggs444 and 1 other person
Miraclo said:
I actually contacted the company who published this question in their book and it has been reviewed. They sent me the correct information for the question as it was an error in printing and will be corrected in future printed copies. The question should read as follows.

"On the given pool table, the white ball traveling with a speed of 3.13 m/s strikes the black ball and then rolls in the direction opposite to its original motion.If the speed of the white ball immediately after the collision is 0.147 m/s, then the speed of the black ball immediately after the collision is ____ m/s. (Record your three-digit answer.)"

This explains where the random -0.147m/s comes from. A few years late, but I hope this helps anyone else who finds this question equally as confusing.

Well done in following up.

Miraclo said:
I actually contacted the company who published this question in their book and it has been reviewed.
Miraclo said:
Looking at the PDF, the problem is still broken.

Since the masses of the balls have not been updated, we must conclude that there is a tiny blasting cap located on the stationary black ball at the point of the collision. The collision is neither inelastic (losing kinetic energy) nor perfectly elastic (preserving kinetic energy). Instead is is super elastic, increasing kinetic energy.

If we ignore energy considerations, the rest of the problem is nothing but a mundane balancing of momentum before and after.

Edit: Like @haruspex, I am surprised and pleased by your determination in following up.

Likes nasu
jbriggs444 said:
Looking at the PDF, the problem is still broken.

Since the masses of the balls have not been updated, we must conclude that there is a tiny blasting cap located on the stationary black ball at the point of the collision. The collision is neither inelastic (losing kinetic energy) nor perfectly elastic (preserving kinetic energy). Instead is is super elastic, increasing kinetic energy.

If we ignore energy considerations, the rest of the problem is nothing but a mundane balancing of momentum before and after.

Edit: Like @haruspex, I am surprised and pleased by your determination in following up.
The question in the book is in the chapter on Conservation of Momentum and elastic/inelastic collision equations are later within the book. I believe they are trying to make it as simple as possible without overcomplicating the question as more complex equations involving the conversation of momentum including energy are brought up later.

Either way, I do hope that this PDF that they provided helps to clear up a better understanding.The Answer in the book in case anyone is wondering how to solve this is:m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

170g(3.13m/s)+(0)= 170g(-0.147 m/s) + (155g)v2'

v2' = 3.59 m/s

Miraclo said:
The question in the book is in the chapter on Conservation of Momentum and elastic/inelastic collision equations are later within the book. I believe they are trying to make it as simple as possible without overcomplicating the question as more complex equations involving the conversation of momentum including energy are brought up later.
Yes, I expect that you are correct. However, a different choice of values could make for an equally simple problem that invites the same momentum conservation approach without requiring the injection of unexplained kinetic energy.

Edit: Today I learned that in coin operated billiard tables, the cue ball is intentionally more massive than the target balls, possibly having a magnetic core. This allows for automated ball sorting. So if one wants to make the problem realistic in ball mass ratio and to retain the feature of a cue ball that recoils from the collision, one is forced into a scenario where energy is added.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Then to make it realistic the cue ball needs to continue to move in the same direction.

Likes jbriggs444
Miraclo said:

Either way, I do hope that this PDF that they provided helps to clear up a better understanding.The Answer in the book in case anyone is wondering how to solve this is:m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

170g(3.13m/s)+(0)= 170g(-0.147 m/s) + (155g)v2'

v2' = 3.59 m/s
That is physically impossible answer. You said v1' was +0.147 in which case energy will be conserved.

hutchphd said:
That is physically impossible answer. You said v1' was +0.147 in which case energy will be conserved.
That is the answer written as is In the book, which I hope will be corrected in their future prints.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is momentum of a ball on a pool table?

The momentum of a ball on a pool table is a measure of its motion and is determined by its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a game of pool?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. In a game of pool, the momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the other balls upon impact, but the total momentum of the system remains the same.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect its momentum on a pool table?

The momentum of a ball is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a ball with a greater mass will have a greater momentum compared to a ball with a smaller mass, assuming they have the same velocity.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and momentum on a pool table?

The momentum of a ball is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that a ball with a greater velocity will have a greater momentum compared to a ball with a lower velocity, assuming they have the same mass.

5. How is the momentum of a ball calculated on a pool table?

The momentum of a ball can be calculated using the equation p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).