More chemistry help God I hate chemistry

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is discussing the correct electron configuration for different atoms, ions, and molecules, specifically for transition metals. The images included in the conversation are no longer working. It is mentioned that Molybdenum is an exception and has a strong preference for half-filled or full d-orbitals. A link is provided for more information on exceptions to electron configurations.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, for the Molybdenum ion I gave the exact electron config of Yttrium, is that not correct?

There is a strong preference for half-filled or full d-orbitals (5 or 10 electrons). Any time you have a nearly half-filled or full d-orbital and some s electrons to spare, you're probably looking at an exception.

What is chemistry and why is it important?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is important because it helps us understand the world around us and allows us to develop new materials, medicines, and technologies.

What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Each branch focuses on different types of substances and their properties.

Why is math important in chemistry?

Math is important in chemistry because it allows us to make precise measurements and calculations, which are essential for understanding chemical reactions and properties. Chemistry also involves the use of equations and formulas, which require mathematical skills.

What are some common challenges in studying chemistry?

Some common challenges in studying chemistry include understanding abstract concepts, memorizing large amounts of information, and solving complex problems. Additionally, the use of specialized terminology and the need for laboratory skills can also be challenging for some students.

How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?

To improve your understanding of chemistry, it is important to actively engage with the material by attending lectures, taking thorough notes, and practicing problems. It can also be helpful to form study groups, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use online resources such as videos and interactive simulations.