More complex numbers, more trigs

In summary: See, they tricked you. Seriously, some trig identities are just tricks. It's hard to see them coming. Like that one. If the problem were even slightly different it wouldn't work. Very specific solution to a very specific problem. I think the other problems in your other set are more instructive.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The angles [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] lie on the interval (-pi/2,pi,2) and

[itex]z=(cos\theta +cos\phi)+i(sin\theta +sin\phi)[/itex]

Show that |z|=2cos([itex]\frac{\theta - \phi}{2}[/itex]) and find arg(z)

Homework Equations

If z=x+iy

[tex]|z|=\sqrt{x^2 +y^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]|z|= \sqrt{(cos\theta +cos\phi)^2+(sin\theta +sin\phi)^2}[/tex]

[tex]=2+2cos(\theta - \phi)[/tex]

I don't know how to get rid of the additional two and how to make the angle halved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved the first part

2nd part giving trouble

arg(z)=tan-1{Im(z)/Re(z)}

[tex]tan^{-1}(\frac{sin\theta + sin\phi}{cos\theta + cos\phi})[/tex]

I think I'll need to simplify this further.

I tried multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator but that didn't lead anywhere feasible.

Last edited:
(sin(a)+sin(b))/(cos(a)+cos(b))=tan((a+b)/2). I'm going to the wikipedia page of trig identities and fishing around. You might notice this is related to the third problem of your other post if you put phi=0.

Dick said:
(sin(a)+sin(b))/(cos(a)+cos(b))=tan((a+b)/2). I'm going to the wikipedia page of trig identities and fishing around. You might notice this is related to the third problem of your other post if you put phi=0.

oh my god! I completely forgot factor formula...seems that 1 month away from math has completely worked my brain in the wrong way... thank you.

I don't remember stuff like that either. I just figured that if the problem called for it then something like that must exist.

Dick said:
I don't remember stuff like that either. I just figured that if the problem called for it then something like that must exist.

Well I knew it had to be arctan of the tan of something, but I thought the something would have been just with theta and phi and not half angled. Was looking to make a tan(A+B) thing.

rock.freak667 said:
Well I knew it had to be arctan of the tan of something, but I thought the something would have been just with theta and phi and not half angled. Was looking to make a tan(A+B) thing.

See, they tricked you. Seriously, some trig identities are just tricks. It's hard to see them coming. Like that one. If the problem were even slightly different it wouldn't work. Very specific solution to a very specific problem. I think the other problems in your other set are more instructive.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They have both a real part (a) and an imaginary part (bi).

2. How are complex numbers used in trigonometry?

Complex numbers are used in trigonometry to represent points on the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional graph where the x-axis represents the real numbers and the y-axis represents the imaginary numbers. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers in trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between polar and rectangular form of complex numbers?

In rectangular form, a complex number is expressed as a + bi, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. In polar form, a complex number is expressed as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle it forms with the positive real axis.

4. How do you perform operations on complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract their real parts and their imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method and simplify the resulting expression. To divide complex numbers, you multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator and simplify.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex numbers and trigonometry?

Complex numbers and trigonometry have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze alternating current circuits, fluid dynamics, and oscillations. They are also used in signal processing, cryptography, and 3D computer graphics.