Proving NTG Relation on S x S: Reflexive, Non-Transitive, and Non-Antisymmetric

• Thread starter mamma_mia66
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, the LTE relation on set S = {1,2,3,4} is defined as "less than or equal to", while the NTG relation on S x S is defined as "not greater than". The NTG relation is reflexive, as (x,x) is in the relation for any x in S, but it is not transitive or antisymmetric. To show this, we can use the pairs (1, 1), (2, 2), (3, 3), and (4, 4) to demonstrate the reflexive property, and we can pick values from S to test for the antisymmetric and transitive properties.
mamma_mia66
confused:Given the simple LTE (less then equal) relation on S= {1,2,3,4} defined by [less and equal ], we define a complex NTG (not grater then) relation on S x S by (w,x) NTG (y,z) if w[less and equal) y or x [less and equal z. (this or confusing me )
Show that NTG is (R) reflexive, but not (T) transitive and not (AS) antisymmetric.

After I list the pairs: (1,1) (1,2) (1,3) (1,4) (2,1) (2,2), (2,3) (2,4) (3,1) (3,2) (3,3) (3,4)
(4,1) (4,2) (4,3) (4,4)

Now I don't know how to start at all. Or may be...

Reflexive property means that (x,x) is in the realation for any x in S.
Antisymmetric (AS) (x,y) and (y,x) both in the relation implies that x=y, but I need to show not AS. Does that mean I have to show non-symetric?
Transitive property means that if (x,y) and (y,z) are in the realation, then (x,z) is also.

How about if I start with (1,1) NGT (2,1) b/c {1 is < and = to 2}

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you again

Physics news on Phys.org
mamma_mia66 said:
confused:Given the simple LTE (less then equal) relation on S= {1,2,3,4} defined by [less and equal ], we define a complex NTG (not grater then) relation on S x S by (w,x) NTG (y,z) if w[less and equal) y or x [less and equal z. (this or confusing me )
The notation is confusing to me. LTE must mean less than OR equal, because with any two numbers one of them can't be both less than the other AND equal to it.

For example, 1 LTE 2 and 1 LTE 1, using elements of set S.

The other relation, for "not greater than" ought to be NGT, not NTG, but that's a minor point.

According to how NGT is defined above (w, x) NGT (y, z) iff w LTE y OR x LTE z.

For example (1, 3) NGT (2, 3) since 1 LTE 2. It's also true that 3 LTE 3. You should confirm that GTE is defined with "or" not "and".
mamma_mia66 said:
Show that NTG is (R) reflexive, but not (T) transitive and not (AS) antisymmetric.

After I list the pairs: (1,1) (1,2) (1,3) (1,4) (2,1) (2,2), (2,3) (2,4) (3,1) (3,2) (3,3) (3,4)
(4,1) (4,2) (4,3) (4,4)

Now I don't know how to start at all. Or may be...

Reflexive property means that (x,x) is in the realation for any x in S.
Antisymmetric (AS) (x,y) and (y,x) both in the relation implies that x=y, but I need to show not AS. Does that mean I have to show non-symetric?
Transitive property means that if (x,y) and (y,z) are in the realation, then (x,z) is also.

How about if I start with (1,1) NGT (2,1) b/c {1 is < and = to 2}

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you again

For the reflexive property, you only need to consider (1, 1), (2, 2), (3, 3), and (4, 4), and show that (1, 1) GTE (1, 1) and so on with each of the other three pairs.
For the antisymmetric property, I think you need to show that if (x, y) GTE (y, x) then it's not true that (y, x) GTE (x, y). Don't do this symbolically; pick values from S and try them out.
For the transitive property, show that if (x, y) GTE (y, z) and if (y, z) GTE (z, w) then (x, y) GTE (z, w).

"LTE" (less than or equal) to is exactly the same as "NGT". (not greater than) (surely not "NTG"!) .

HallsofIvy said:
"LTE" (less than or equal) to is exactly the same as "NGT". (not greater than) (surely not "NTG"!) .
Maybe NTG stands for "not that great"

Well, you'd think that LTE is exactly the same as NGT, but the NGT relation is defined on pairs in the OP's problem.

Thank you so much. I am sorry for the typo NTG instead NGT, but you figured out. The example for OR confusion was very helpful.

What is the definition of a reflexive relation?

A reflexive relation is a relation on a set where every element is related to itself. In other words, for every element a in the set, (a, a) is a part of the relation.

What does it mean for a relation to be non-transitive?

A non-transitive relation is one where the transitive property does not hold. This means that if (a, b) and (b, c) are both part of the relation, then (a, c) is not necessarily a part of the relation.

Can a relation be both non-transitive and non-antisymmetric?

Yes, a relation can be both non-transitive and non-antisymmetric. Non-antisymmetric means that if (a, b) and (b, a) are both part of the relation, then a and b are not necessarily equal. Non-transitive and non-antisymmetric relations are common in real-world scenarios where there are multiple factors influencing the relationship between two elements.

Why is it important to prove the NTG relation on S x S?

Proving the NTG relation on S x S is important because it helps us understand the properties of the relation and how elements in the set are related to each other. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the relation.

How can the NTG relation be applied in real-world situations?

The NTG relation can be applied in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and social sciences. In mathematics, it can be used to model relationships between numbers or geometric objects. In computer science, it can be used to analyze data and create algorithms. In social sciences, it can be used to study human interactions and behaviors.