More docile dfn of local path-connectedness?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary, a topological space is considered locally path-connected if it has a base of path-connected sets. This concept may be intimidating, but it essentially means that for any open set, you can find a path-connected open set inside it. Every topology can be generated by a basis, but bases are not unique. This can be seen with the example of the usual topology on a plane, which can be generated by both open balls and rectangles. While the redefinition of local path-connectedness as every neighborhood containing a path-connected neighborhood is close, it is not entirely accurate as open sets and neighborhoods can still contain non-path-connected elements.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I find the one on wikipedia to be a bit intimidating. It says that...

"A topological space is said to be locally path-connected if it has a base of path-connected sets."

We have really not covered this notion of "base" in my course, and even though I know what it is, I don't have any experience working with it. For instance, my anxieties stem from... can every topology be generated by a basis? If a topology can be generated by a basis, is it unique? If no, can a topology admit a basis of path-connected elements as well as a basis of non-path connected elements?

So is there a friendly caracterisation of this notion? A natural candidate that immidiately comes to mind would be "A topological space X is said to be locally path-connected if every nbh of every point is itself a path-connected subspace of X."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition is just saying that for any open set you can find a path-connected open set that sits inside it.

As for your other questions: Yes, every topology can be generated by a basis. For instance take the topology itself to be your basis! This should make you believe that bases are not unique. As a more concerete example, the conventional basis for the usual topology on the plane is the collection of open balls. At the same time, if you take the 'rectangles' whose sides are parallel to the axes you can see that they generate the usual topology as well. (To visualize this: you can fit a rectangle inside every ball, and vice versa.)

ETA:
Your redefinition is almost correct. It's not true that every nbhd of every point is path-connected - what is true is that every such nbhd contains a path-connected nbhd.

Last edited:
morphism said:
Your redefinition is almost correct. It's not true that every nbhd of every point is path-connected - what is true is that every such nbhd contains a path-connected nbhd.

I was using the definition of nbh outlined here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighbourhood_(mathematics)#Definition (except that S={p}, a point)

Are you too?

I'm using nbhd to mean an open set - not a set that contains an open set. Although even with your definition of nbhd, your reformulation of local path-connectedness isn't correct. You are allowed to have nbhds that aren't path-connected. In fact, you're allowed to have open sets that aren't path-connected; as long as they contain an open path-connected subset, you're OK.

1. What is the definition of local path-connectedness?

Local path-connectedness refers to the property of a topological space where every point in the space has a neighborhood that is path-connected.

2. How is local path-connectedness different from path-connectedness?

Path-connectedness is a stronger property that requires the entire space to be connected by a continuous path, whereas local path-connectedness only requires each point to have a path-connected neighborhood.

3. What are some examples of spaces that are locally path-connected?

Euclidean spaces, open intervals, and connected subsets of the real line are all examples of spaces that are locally path-connected.

4. How is local path-connectedness related to connectedness?

A locally path-connected space must also be connected, but the reverse is not necessarily true. This means that every locally path-connected space is also connected, but not every connected space is necessarily locally path-connected.

5. How is the concept of local path-connectedness useful in mathematics?

Local path-connectedness is a useful property in topology because it allows for the study of connectedness in a more localized manner. It also has applications in fields such as differential geometry and dynamical systems.