More efficient way of doing this? (java exercise)

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter Arnoldjavs3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary: However, if the language allows it and you are familiar with it, you can try a more efficient approach using dynamic arrays or lists. Overall, your solution is correct and efficient for languages where arrays cannot change size. In summary, the task is to create a method that takes in two integer arrays and returns a new array containing the first element of each array, unless one of the arrays is empty. The provided code checks for the length of both arrays and returns the appropriate array. There may be more efficient ways of solving this task using dynamic arrays or lists, but the current solution is effective for languages where arrays cannot change size.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

Given 2 int arrays, a and b, of any length, return a new array with the first element of each array. If either array is length 0, ignore that array.

front11([1, 2, 3], [7, 9, 8]) → [1, 7]
front11([1], [2]) → [1, 2]
front11([1, 7], []) → [1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Java:
public int[] front11(int[] a, int[] b) {
  if (a.length>=1 && b.length>=1) {
    return new int[] {a[0], b[0]};
  }
  else if(b.length==0 && a.length>0) {
    return new int[] {a[0]};
  }
  else if(b.length>1 && a.length==0) {
    return new int[] {b[0]};
  }
  return new int[] {};
}

Is there a more efficient way of doing this without having to check the length of both arrays?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can java increase the size of arrays easily? You could initialize an array, then add a[0] to it if a.length>0, then add b[0] to it if b.length>0.

mfb said:
Can java increase the size of arrays easily? You could initialize an array, then add a[0] to it if a.length>0, then add b[0] to it if b.length>0.
Is the bolded a hint ? Since arrays are of fixed lengths. I was just thinking as I was doing these challenges that writing a bunch of if statements felt a little too trivial and not challenging...

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Is the bolded a hint ?
No, it was a question. I never worked with Java. I know some languages can do that easily (e.g. PHP, JS and python), while in some others it is not advisable (e.g. C++) or completely impossible.

If an array cannot change size, your solution should be the easiest option.

1. Why is it important to find a more efficient way to do things in Java?

Finding a more efficient way to do things in Java can save time and resources, which can ultimately lead to improved performance and cost savings.

2. What are some common techniques for improving efficiency in Java?

Some common techniques for improving efficiency in Java include using built-in methods, implementing data structures and algorithms, and optimizing code for memory and runtime.

3. How can I determine if my Java code is inefficient?

You can use performance testing tools, such as profilers, to identify areas of your code that may be causing performance issues. Additionally, reviewing your code for any redundant or unnecessary steps can also help improve efficiency.

4. Is it better to prioritize efficiency over readability in Java?

While efficiency is important, it is generally recommended to prioritize readability in Java. Writing code that is clear and easy to understand can make it easier to maintain and debug in the long run.

5. Can I still use object-oriented programming principles while trying to improve efficiency in Java?

Yes, you can still use object-oriented programming principles while trying to improve efficiency in Java. In fact, proper use of these principles can often lead to more efficient and organized code.