More precise calculation for Acoustic End Correction needed

In summary: Thanks for your time!In summary, AlephZero suggests that a more accurate calculation for determining an accurate end correction for an open-ended pipe of a relatively high fundamental frequency is to add 0.6 times the radius (or 0.3*d) to either end. However, this value is considerably less than the general 0.6*r mentioned above. AlephZero also suggests that the 0.6133 value is more accurate.
GenSoft3d
Hi,

I am looking for a more precise calculation for determining an accurate end correction for an open-ended pipe of a relatively high fundamental frequency and am hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Researching online I have found the general calculation of adding 0.6 times the radius (or 0.3*d) to either end but I would like to know where this "constant" is derived from as I am skeptical of it's ability to render accurate results based on the possible variations relating to a given frequency and it's resulting acoustic impedance, etc...

I was able to find a simple formula where the volume of a half-sphere derived from the diameter of the pipe is converted to a cylinder of equal volume w/ a given length which then determines the supposed end correction value, however this value is considerably less than the general 0.6*r mentioned above.

To give an idea of my experiment; I am working with a cylindrical pipe that has an outer diameter of .5", an inner diameter of .425" and am trying to determine a length that will produce the desired frequency of 17.424 kHz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot for those links AlephZero... that was very helpful.

That definitely answers my question as to how the 0.6*r value is determined. However I noticed that the value presented in the info provided at the second link is 0.6133 (see Table 1, pg.12) as opposed to the more general 0.6 value more commonly found in my research.

Should I assume that the 0.6133 value is more accurate? It appears that the value is the result of additional calculations that were intended to accommodate the estimation of a time-domain reflection function r(t) for higher frequencies where the expression for the modulus |R(w)| become negative when w increases. I wonder if there is an established threshold (e.g., specific frequency) where this cross-over to negative expression occurs?

1. What is acoustic end correction and why is it important for calculations?

Acoustic end correction is the adjustment made to the theoretical length of a resonator or cavity to account for the effects of sound waves reflecting off the open end. It is important for calculations because it affects the resonant frequency and overall acoustic behavior of the system.

2. How is acoustic end correction typically calculated?

Acoustic end correction is typically calculated using empirical formulas or theoretical models based on the geometry of the resonator. These calculations take into account the diameter, length, and shape of the resonator, as well as the properties of the surrounding medium.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of acoustic end correction calculations?

The accuracy of acoustic end correction calculations can be affected by factors such as non-uniformity in the shape or diameter of the resonator, changes in the surrounding medium, and the presence of obstructions or other acoustic elements in the system.

4. How can more precise calculations for acoustic end correction be achieved?

More precise calculations for acoustic end correction can be achieved by using advanced mathematical models and numerical simulations, as well as by conducting experimental measurements of the acoustic behavior of the system to validate the calculations.

5. Why is it important to have more precise calculations for acoustic end correction?

Having more precise calculations for acoustic end correction is important because it can improve the accuracy and reliability of acoustic simulations and predictions, leading to better design and optimization of acoustic systems such as musical instruments, speakers, and resonators.