Proving A=B When A U B is a Subset of A Intersect B: Set Theory Explained

B. Then you could do the other half of the proof by saying "Let x be an element of B. Then it is an element of B union A. Since B union A is a subset of A intersect B, then ..." and then conclude that x is an element of A. Putting these two arguments together, you would have a complete argument that "If x is an element of A, then it is an element of B" and "If x is an element of B, then it is an element of A", which is the same as saying "A= B".In summary, to prove that A=B when A U B is a subset of A
supasupa
The question is

If A U B is a subset of A intersect B, then prove that A=B

Now i can see this in my head and it makes sense that the elements in set A and Set B would have to be the same. The problem that i have with subset questions is how to prove that this is the case. I can start by saying

For all x ( x is an element of (A U B) --> x is an element of (A intersect B))
( x is an element of (A U B) --> x is an element of A AND B))
( x is an element of (A U B) --> x is an element of A AND x is an element of B))

Where do i go from here? Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this approach will work, note that the intersection of any number of sets will always be a subset of anyone of those sets, and for the union of any number of sets, any set in that union will be a subset of the union. So then show that based on what you know A is a subset of B and B is a subset of A, and they are consequently equal.

( x is an element of (A U B) --> x is an element of A AND B))
This doesn't make sense--"x is an element of A AND B." What kind of set is "A AND B"? You should skip this step and go straight to saying x is an element of A and x is an element of B.

A simple way to approach the problem is to suppose that x is an element of A. Then you want to show that it is an element of B. The reverse direction is essentially the same. Here's how your proof could start:
"Let x be an element of A. Then x is an element of A or x is an element of B. So, x is an element of A u B."

To prove "A= B", you have to do two things: prove "if x is an element of A, then it is an element of B" and prove "if x is an element of B, then it is an element of A".

You might start by saying "Let x be an element of A. Then it is an element of A union B. Since A union B is a subset of A intersect B, then ..."

1. What is the definition of "subset" in set theory?

In set theory, a subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set. This means that every element in the smaller set is also found in the larger set.

2. How is the notation "A U B" read in set theory?

The notation "A U B" is read as "A union B" and represents the set that contains all the elements of both set A and set B.

3. What does it mean for A U B to be a subset of A intersect B?

If A U B is a subset of A intersect B, it means that all the elements in A U B are also found in A intersect B. In other words, every element that is in either set A or set B is also in the intersection of set A and set B.

4. How can we prove that A=B when A U B is a subset of A intersect B?

To prove that A=B when A U B is a subset of A intersect B, we can use the definition of a subset and show that all the elements in set A are also in set B, and vice versa. This would mean that the two sets have the exact same elements and are therefore equal.

5. Can A and B be equal if A U B is not a subset of A intersect B?

No, if A U B is not a subset of A intersect B, it means that there are elements in either set A or set B that are not in the intersection of the two sets. This would make the two sets not equal, as they have different elements.