Morera in complex analysis

In summary, we learn in complex analysis that if a function is analytic in a region, then the integral on a closed path will be zero. However, there is another statement called Morera's theorem that states the opposite - if the integral on any closed path is zero, then the function is analytic. While the proof on Wikipedia seems simple, some have trouble understanding it and are seeking a better explanation.
y.moghadamnia
hey there
there is this thing we learn in complex analysis (and almost everywhere) that if a function is analytic in a known region, then the integral on a closed path(say, any loop), will be zero.
so there is another statement we need to deal with hear, which is exactly the opposite, that if the integral on any closed path is zero, then our function will be analytic. its called morera sth. now, I get it completely, but I have problems with provinging it, can anyone prove it and explain it completely? I tried some textbooks but none had the explanation I truly needed to understand the whole thing.
thanx a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

The first statement is called Cauchy's theorem, and at first sight Morera's theorem seems like it's converse, but Cauchy's theorem actually makes an additional assumption that the domain is simply connected.

The proof on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morera's_theorem ) seems straight forward enough. Read through it and if you have problems, come back and tell us specifically what part you have having trouble understanding.

1. What is Morera's theorem in complex analysis?

Morera's theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states if a function is continuous and its integral around every closed path is zero, then the function is analytic.

2. What is the significance of Morera's theorem in complex analysis?

Morera's theorem is important because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be analytic. This allows us to determine if a function has a complex derivative without having to explicitly compute the derivative.

3. How is Morera's theorem used in complex analysis?

Morera's theorem is commonly used in proving the analyticity of a function. It also helps in simplifying calculations in complex analysis, as it allows us to replace complex integrals with simpler line integrals.

4. Are there any limitations to Morera's theorem in complex analysis?

Morera's theorem only applies to simply connected regions, meaning that it cannot be used to determine analyticity in regions with holes or multiple connected components.

5. Can Morera's theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Morera's theorem can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of the Cauchy integral formula. This allows for the determination of analyticity in functions of several complex variables.