Branch cuts for complex powers

In summary: The branch cut should be chosen to pass through all branch points and render the region simply connected.Assuming ##s ## is a negative integer. Otherwise it gets much hairier.
spaghetti3451
I need to perform the following integration:

##I(s) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\gamma}\text{d}z\ z^{-s} \frac{\text{d}\ln\mathcal{F(z)}}{\text{d}z}##,

where ##\mathcal{F(z)}## is analytic everywhere on the complex plane except at the zeroes of the function.

For the purpose of integration, the branch cut which is implied by ##z^{-s}## is chosen to be on the negative real ##z-##axis, as follows.

The following link shows the branch cut: http://s24.postimg.org/eoxg0dbo5/Stack_Exchange_Question.jpg

I understand that the function $z^{-s}$ is multivalued, but that function has $s$ complex roots over the complex plane, so should we not choose a branch that corresponds to an angle of $\frac{2\pi}{s}$ of the complex plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has answered for a few days so I will take a stab.
First I have a few questions: 1) is this a homework problem? 2) what is the contour ##\gamma##? 2) are there any restrictions on ##s##?
failexam said:
I need to perform the following integration:

##I(s) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\gamma}\text{d}z\ z^{-s} \frac{\text{d}\ln\mathcal{F(z)}}{\text{d}z}##,

where ##\mathcal{F(z)}## is analytic everywhere on the complex plane except at the zeroes of the function.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement about ##\mathcal{F(z)}##.

failexam said:
I understand that the function $z^{-s}$ is multivalued, but that function has $s$ complex roots over the complex plane, so should we not choose a branch that corresponds to an angle of $\frac{2\pi}{s}$ of the complex plane?
Almost. ##z^{-s}## is indeed a multivalued function as long as ##s## is not an integer. When ##s## is irrational it has an infinite number of values. If it is rational the denominator tells you how many values. When you dealt with more specific functions like ##\sqrt{z}##, did the power on ##z## determine the direction of the branch cut?

jason

a basic principle is that the branch cut be chosen to pass through all branch points and render the region simply connected. I.e. as long as the cut makes it impossible for any arc to wind around a missing branch point, it is sufficient.

failexam said:
< snip>

Assuming ##s ## is a negative integer. Otherwise it gets much hairier. And maybe I am missing something (sorry I snipped the first part, I don't know how to paste it back in ) but if by ##ln## you mean the complex log, then ##ln f(z) ## cannot be defined at the zeros of ##f(z) ##.

It is true the log of a function is multiple valued in a disc containing a zero, except at the center where it is not defined. However any two of its many different choices of values, at points near the zero, differ by a constant, so the derivative of the log is well defined and single valued, except again at the zero itself. Now apparently he wants to compute an integral along a path that does not pass through a zero of f, so the integral makes sense as long as he chooses a region in which f has a holomorphic "branch", i.e. off the branch cut shown.

Apparently he also means f is analytic everywhere, since the zeroes of f are not a problem for f, they are a problem for dLn(f).

Now actually, unless s is a non integer, like 1/2, there are not necessarily branch points for z^(-s) either. I.e. z^(-3) for instance poses no problem since it is well defined near zero and even has residue zero there, so would contribute zero to the integral as long as the path avoids z=0.

Last edited:
Thanks, Wonk, I realized it just recently, that the question makes sense only when we are working within a branch of the log. We do need the wonk, give us the wonk... :).

1. What are branch cuts for complex powers?

Branch cuts for complex powers are lines or curves in the complex plane where a function is not defined or is discontinuous. They are used to define a single-valued branch of a multivalued function, particularly in complex analysis.

2. Why are branch cuts necessary for complex powers?

Branch cuts are necessary for complex powers because they help to resolve the ambiguity of multivalued functions. In the complex plane, a function can have multiple values at a single point, and branch cuts help to define a specific value for that function at that point.

3. How are branch cuts related to branch points?

Branch cuts and branch points are closely related concepts. Branch points are the points in the complex plane where a function becomes multivalued, and branch cuts are the lines or curves used to define a single-valued branch of that function. Branch points are often located at the endpoints of branch cuts.

4. Can branch cuts be visualized in the complex plane?

Yes, branch cuts can be visualized in the complex plane as lines or curves. They are typically represented as dashed or dotted lines to indicate that the function is not defined or is discontinuous along that line.

5. How do branch cuts affect the behavior of a function?

Branch cuts can significantly affect the behavior of a function in the complex plane. Along a branch cut, the function is not defined or is discontinuous, which can lead to jumps or discontinuities in the function's values. This can also affect the analytic properties of the function, such as its differentiability or integrability.