1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mosfet gate charge with no voltage across D-S

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    Hi , I would like to find out does a mosfet have any gate charge if there is no voltage applied across D-S or no ?
    my intuition tells me that there shouldn't be any gate chrge as there is no voltage on the " second plate" to attract that charge like would be the case in a capacitor, although mosfte being a semiconductor maybe because its current carrying channel is doped with current carriers it responds to gate signal even with no voltage across D-S, ?

I am asking this because I need to test for a fault in my mosfet driving circuit but I need to know whether it has the same current need driving the mosfets without them being attached to voltage or no?otherwise i couldn;t fully replicate working condition and also determine the fault.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You still have a small capacitance, so applying a gate voltage will lead to a gate charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook