1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most employable emphasis for Applied Statistics major?

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    http://oi59.tinypic.com/50lfv9.jpg

Above is a link to the list of the three different emphasis offered at my university for statistics major (it is named "statistics" major but has an "applied statistics" curriculum).

Please tell me which emphasis of the three you think is most employable. Please rank them from which you think is most employable to least employable. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are interested in making good money, the economics emphasis looks like it would be a good match for pursuit of a career in finance or as an actuary, etc. if you want to work in e.g. Medical research, the science track would probably be better.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    Any of the three are employable. If I were in your shoes, I'd choose the business option. The need for statisticians to work on big data sets continues to grow.

However, all that said, the industry does change. What I say today may be completely useless a year from now. If I really knew how to make prognostications like this, I could be very wealthy.

5. Feb 24, 2015 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

To annoyinggirl:

Are you absolutely required to choose one of the three emphasis offered at your university's statistics major, or do you have some flexibility in deciding what emphasis you choose? Because in my mind, it really doesn't matter which emphasis you choose (at least as selected). The key is the ability to develop skills in statistical and data analysis that can be applied in any area, whether that be in business, finance, marketing, medicine, pharma/biotech, IT, engineering, etc. So long as you develop the fundamentals, develop some programming ability, and seek internships to gain experience, you should be fine.

6. Jul 8, 2015 #5
    I have to choose one of the three offered emphasis.

7. Jul 10, 2015 #6

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Hi there. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.
    If you're asking me what I would choose if I was in your shoes, I would go for either the Business option (which would help you break into finance/market research etc.) or the Science option (a bias from working in the pharma/biotech sector). But as I've stated earlier, it really doesn't matter, so long as you are building a solid foundation in statistics and data analysis.

8. Jul 10, 2015 #7
    thank you for responding.
    The business option seems more employable but requires a few prereqs that would delay graduation. Also, it seems very common-sense and boring. Do you think I could do the science track and do market research, too?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  9. Jul 10, 2015 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Yes, I think you could do the science track and do market research, since the statistical and computing methods used for one shouldn't differ from what is covered in the business track. I would suggest you speak with your department to get more details, but that is what I think (I've known people with science backgrounds working in data science for market research, insurance, or finance companies).

10. Jul 10, 2015 #9
    thank you very much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook