1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Statistics with emphasis in Physics?

1. Jan 4, 2014 #1
    I'm planning to major in Applied Statistics, which requires me to choose a concentration in either Economics, Science, or Business. I know that Statistics is often applied to Biology (Biostatistics), but what abut Physics? Physics can often yield accuracy up to 100 percent, eliminating the need for statistics. Is Statistics with an emphasis in physics even possible, useful, or employable?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2014 #2
  4. Jan 4, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Physicists use statistics. However, it is very rare that physicists use statisticians.

5. Jan 5, 2014 #4
    Stick with physics if you want to do physics, employers will take an applied statistics degree but they won't care aboutb the emphasis on physics. If you want to go to grad school in physics though you need to major in physics. You could always minor in statistics if that is what you like.

6. Jan 6, 2014 #5
    Thank you! You guys have been very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook