Engineering, Math, Physics, Chemistry: $100/$1000 Items & Free Life Skills

In summary, the conversation revolves around the usefulness of majors in engineering, math, physics, and chemistry in terms of practical applications at home. The original poster is looking for a list of items that can be produced with only what was learned in school, along with skills that are useful in everyday life. The conversation also touches on the importance of math in other sciences and the relevance of personal experience in giving valid opinions. The other posters suggest that the original poster is looking for a hobby rather than a degree, and the thread is closed for moderation.
babysnatcher
Engineering, math, physics, and chemistry graduates : What items can you produce with only what you learned in school with $100? $1000? List all of them with each having its separate $100 or $1000 budget. List skills you learned that are useful in life that are free as well, such as, finding the best seat in a movie theater, more-or-else common things. I will also accept a list of things you can repair or fix. Again, all knowledge must be only from your school. Include your major, school, and percentage of education used for everything you listed( engineering majors can omit science and math, and science majors can omit math for this percentage).

No offense to math majors but if I want to work on something that is pointless, I would rather level up a character in a video game. Well, that pretty much seems what math is relative to the other majors. And I am sure math is going to have trouble being generally useful. It seems more useful for very specific topics and bigger picture kinda thing, keeping in mind that the school is pretty much going to teach you the imperative math for science and engineering majors. There is little chance I will revolutionize any math so may as well go for what I can do for my individualism. I am saying this to get corrected if it is more useful than the other majors.

So my goal is to use my knowledge for personal use at home.

Be precise and explicit in your answers -- this is probably going to go back and forth for several pages.

Physics news on Phys.org
babysnatcher said:
Engineering, math, physics, and chemistry graduates : What items can you produce with only what you learned in school with $100? $1000? List all of them with each having its separate $100 or $1000 budget. List skills you learned that are useful in life that are free as well, such as, finding the best seat in a movie theater, more-or-else common things. I will also accept a list of things you can repair or fix. Again, all knowledge must be only from your school. Include your major, school, and percentage of education used for everything you listed( engineering majors can omit science and math, and science majors can omit math for this percentage).

No offense to math majors but if I want to work on something that is pointless, I would rather level up a character in a video game. Well, that pretty much seems what math is relative to the other majors. And I am sure math is going to have trouble being generally useful. It seems more useful for very specific topics and bigger picture kinda thing, keeping in mind that the school is pretty much going to teach you the imperative math for science and engineering majors. There is little chance I will revolutionize any math so may as well go for what I can do for my individualism. I am saying this to get corrected if it is more useful than the other majors.

So my goal is to use my knowledge for personal use at home.

Be precise and explicit in your answers -- this is probably going to go back and forth for several pages.

None of these majors are practical.

I don't know how you consider math pointless; it is the formal science from which the other quantitative natural and social sciences are derived.

You won't learn anything you can use at home that google won't tell you how to do, don't waste your time with school with this attitude.

This thread in its current form is unconstructive. Why don't you list what you want to do on a piece of notepad paper and start googling, instead of demanding structured lists from posters here? It will save us all a bit of pointless.

Student100 said:
None of these majors are practical.

I don't know how you consider math pointless; it is the formal science from which the other quantitative natural and social sciences are derived.

You won't learn anything you can use at home that google won't tell you how to do, don't waste your time with school with this attitude.

This thread in its current form is unconstructive. Why don't you list what you want to do on a piece of notepad paper and start googling, instead of demanding structured lists from posters here? It will save us all a bit of pointless.

You are being too overcritical. You obviously do not just jump into engineering without math. I obviously didn't mean completely pointless either. The premise is also that math is included in the other majors. You did not list the the major you completed so I am going to ask why your opinion is valid? Also, list your actual experience. If you have none to make valid claims about all of the majors, then ill just see what you have.

I predict this will not be a multi-page thread...

babysnatcher said:
You are being too overcritical. You obviously do not just jump into engineering without math. I obviously didn't mean completely pointless either. The premise is also that math is included in the other majors. You did not list the the major you completed so I am going to ask why your opinion is valid? Also, list your actual experience. If you have none to make valid claims about all of the majors, then ill just see what you have.

You want a hobby, not a degree. All these majors are irrelevant to what you want.

RN license

Thread closed pending moderation.

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems that solve practical problems. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. While engineering uses principles of physics, it focuses on the practical implementation of these principles to solve real-world problems.

2. What are some examples of life skills that can be learned through studying engineering, math, physics, and chemistry?

Studying these subjects can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also teaches time management, teamwork, and communication skills, which are essential for success in any career.

3. How do engineering, math, physics, and chemistry intersect?

All of these subjects are interconnected and rely on each other. For example, engineers use principles of physics to design and build structures, and they use math to calculate and analyze the forces and stresses acting on those structures. Similarly, chemists use principles of physics and math to understand the properties and behavior of different substances.

4. What are some examples of $100/$1000 items that can be purchased for studying engineering, math, physics, and chemistry?

Some examples include laboratory equipment, textbooks, scientific calculators, computer software, and model building kits. These items can aid in understanding and applying concepts taught in these subjects.

5. How can studying engineering, math, physics, and chemistry benefit society?

Engineers use their knowledge to create solutions to complex problems and improve people's lives. For example, they design and build infrastructure, such as bridges and roads, that make transportation more efficient. Through advancements in math, physics, and chemistry, we have made significant progress in areas such as medicine, technology, and renewable energy, which ultimately benefit society as a whole.