Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion and Heat

1. Dec 25, 2011 #1
    How exactly does the rapid movement of molecules translate into what we feel as "heat"? and if heat energy is the movement of molecules..isn't it just kinetic energy?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2011 #2
    Your first question will probably get you an answer you aren't after (how does a needle prick translate in to pain is along this vain though I'm sure not the material you're interested in), I think the best way to answer what I think you're asking there is that heat destroys cells and proteins and is just in general bad for your body so you feel pain as negative reinforcement to avoid being burnt.
    Heat is kinetic energy yes, but kinetic energy of the molecules relative to one another.
    As a side note I'm under the impression that "heat" is a verb and the correct term here is "temperature", small change but it seems to make things clearer.

4. Dec 26, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Heat is both a noun, and a verb.

5. Dec 26, 2011 #4
    There is a strong relationship between heat and kinetic energy. In fluid statics, temperature is define as the kinetic energy of its constituent particles.

6. Dec 26, 2011 #5
    Thanks

@jhamm, can you clarify the relative thing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook