Motion Eqaution and Newtons Law Problem?

In summary, the equations y = 6.00 + 3.45t − 7.20t2 m and x = 17.0t m describe the motion of a projectile launched on Earth. However, the acceleration is not 9.8 m/s^2, so it does not accurately represent an object launched on Earth. To find the force exerted on the object, we can use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. To find the acceleration, we can take the second derivative of the equations for y and x and multiply it by the mass of the object. This will give us the force exerted on the object.
r_swayze
A projectile has been launched and moves according to the equations: y = 6.00 + 3.45t − 7.20t2 m, and x = 17.0t m. (a) Do these equations describe an object launched on Earth? (b) Assume the object is a slide rule of mass 0.207 kg. What force is being exerted on it?

I know part a is no, since the acceleration isn't 9.8, but I have no idea how to do part b? any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma

Do you understand what each of the terms in your equation of motion mean? Remember that [tex]s=s_{i}+v_{i}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

:DDDDDDDD

Last edited:
r_swayze said:
I know part a is no, since the acceleration isn't 9.8, but I have no idea how to do part b? any help?

So if y is displacement, how does one find velocity and hence acceleration?

Now use the message below.

206PiruBlood said:
F=ma

ok, I see just take the 2nd derivative of y and x and multiply by mass

thanks guys

What is the equation for motion?

The equation for motion is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newtons's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation a=F/m.

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How do I use Newton's laws to solve problems?

To solve problems involving motion and Newton's laws, you will need to identify the given information, draw a diagram if necessary, and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown quantity. It is important to remember to use consistent units and pay attention to the direction of forces and motion. Practice and familiarity with the equations will also help in solving these types of problems.