Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion equation of moving particle

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    assume that motion equation of moving particle are given by:
    [tex]\ddot{x} + \omega^2 x = \frac{f}{m} \cos ( \gamma t + \beta )[/tex]​
    the solution is of course [tex]x = a \cos (\omega t + \alpha) + \tfrac{f}{m(\omega^2 - \gamma^2)} \cos ( \gamma t + \beta)[/tex].

My question is - what exactly happens when [tex]\omega = \gamma[/tex] ?

As [tex]\gamma \to \omega[/tex] but [tex]\omega \not= \gamma[/tex] the amplitude of oscillations grows rapidly, right?
    We might guess that when [tex]\omega = \gamma[/tex] aplitude is infinite! But... let's right [tex]x[/tex] as:
    [tex]x = b \cos (\omega t + \alpha) + \frac{f}{m(\omega^2 - \gamma^2)} \left\{ \cos ( \gamma t + \beta) - \cos (\omega t + \beta) \right\}[/tex]​
    (b is a new const). In the second term of the sum we have [tex]0/0[/tex] symbol and using de L'Hospital rule we obtain
    [tex]x = b \cos (\omega t + \alpha) + \frac{f}{2m \omega} t \sin (\omega t + \beta)[/tex]​
    This function grows to infinity as [tex]t \to \infty[/tex] but not so fast and it of course has a finite amplitude.

So again - what exactly happens when [tex]\omega = \gamma[/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Re: Resonance

Why don't you try to set them equal in the original equation and solve that.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    Re: Resonance

I did that and got solution of the form [tex]x = b \cos (\omega t + \alpha) + \frac{f}{2m \omega} t \sin (\omega t + \beta)[/tex] again.
    But I still wonder why when [tex]\gamma \to \omega[/tex] the amplitude can be very very large and when [tex]\gamma = \omega[/tex] it is totally different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?