How Accurate Is My Gradient Calculation for Maximum Acceleration?

In summary, the Scan attachment shows that the maximum acceleration occurs when the velocity is increasing linearly from 0 to 2.2 seconds and then becoming constant for the next two seconds. Between 2.2 and 3 seconds, the velocity increases more gradually and then becomes constant again for the final 0.4 seconds.
Peter G.
For the Scan attachment:
The question asks me to find the maximum acceleration. I used those two points in red in the attachment to calculate the gradient doing difference in y and difference in x. I got 4m/s ^2: does it seems correct, or I should have to tangent it? Because it seemed to be a straight line to me.

The next part of the question asks me to draw the general shape of an acceleration time graph from that velocity time graph. (Answer in reply attachment). I divided the graph in four different parts. In the first section it is accelerating non linearly from 0 to 2.2. I think that line is correct. The second part, from 2.2 to 3 I drew a steeper straight line upwards but I think I should switch that to a straight horizontal line and from 3 to 5.6 I drew another upward straight line and finally, for the last 0.4 seconds a straight line on the x axis. For part one and three of the graph, my lines should be straight or curved?

For the other velocity graph, the scan 0007 they asked us to sketch a displacement time graph for that journey. Does my look right?

Thanks,
Peter G

P.S: Answers in form of attachment in reply to this thread.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 329
  • scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the answers.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 360
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 358
Let me be clear on this:
scan0004 is answer to scan
scan0006 is answer to scan0007

Yes, correct.

first, let's see scan0007:
the third part of the graph is incorrect, rest is fine.
velocity just decreases but is never negative. How does your displacement reduce?

now let's see scan:
0 to 2.2 is correct,
2.2 to 3 is incorrect,
actually everything after that is incorrect, except that finally acceleration is zero

nice to see you are online. let's clear doubts right now

oh...I did not check the values. My comments were over the shape

EDIT: by values I did not mean type of graph, I meant the time at which the graph changes, its velocity at that point.

Last edited:
Ok, for the scan 0007 I had noticed that, and I corrected it.

For the acceleration graph, I made some changes too and it only asks for the general shape. I will upload my new graphs in 5 minutes.

There they are. And by not checking the figures, you didn't check them for the distance time graph or for the acceleration?

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 345
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 367
scan0009 is right...
scan0008 is again wrong,
2-3 part is correct now,
as you can see after that velocity increases at lower rate which finally becomes constant

and I checked them as per written, why did you doubt that.

I noticed something interesting:
scan0009 is basically scan (do not consider units)
integrating scan0007 you get scan,
(you get displacement time graph when you integrate velocity time graph)
so what will you get on differentiating scan.
(you get acceleration time graph when you differentiate velocity time graph)

"and I checked them as per written, why did you doubt that." I didn't doubt you, I asked that because I wanted to know if scan 0009 was still right because you said: "oh...I did not check the values. My comments were over the shape" But I guess it was just a misunderstanding.

For scan 0008: So I got the first line right, up to 2.2 seconds and second line, the straight horizontal line, to 3 seconds, right and the last line, last 0.4 seconds is right. How can I correct the third line?

And sorry, I didn't understand your last reply about integration :redface:

see about the third line...if you draw tangents at some point you will see that as time increases slope of tangent decreases meaning acceleration decreases. This (and my last post) mean that your acceleration time graph would look like scan0007

Ah I see, if I draw tangents to the part of the question graph corresponding to my third line the acceleration is decreasing. I see, thanks! And what about the maximum acceleration in scan? Using both of those red points and doing difference in y / difference x seems fine? I got 4 m/s^2

yeah that is fine. you can see from the graph itself. the max acceleration is in that area

Thanks a lot for the help. I will fix that acceleration time graph and I am good to go. :approve:

1. What are motion graphs?

Motion graphs are visual representations of an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. They can help us understand the motion of an object and how it changes over time.

2. How are motion graphs useful?

Motion graphs can provide us with valuable information about an object's motion, such as its speed, direction, and changes in velocity. They can also help us analyze and predict the future motion of an object.

3. What is a gradient in a motion graph?

The gradient in a motion graph represents the object's velocity at a specific point in time. It is calculated by finding the slope of the line on the graph at that point.

4. How does the gradient change in a motion graph?

The gradient can either increase, decrease, or remain constant depending on the object's motion. If the object is moving with a constant velocity, the gradient will remain constant. If the object is accelerating, the gradient will increase or decrease depending on the direction of the acceleration.

5. Can we determine the acceleration of an object from a motion graph?

Yes, we can determine the acceleration of an object by looking at the gradient of the object's velocity-time graph. The steeper the gradient, the greater the acceleration of the object. If the gradient is negative, it indicates that the object is decelerating.