1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 2 dimension-example from book

1. Dec 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A jetliner flies at 960kmh^-1 relative to the air. it's going from Houston to Omaha, 1290km Northwards. At cruising altitude a wind is blowing east wards at 190kmh^-1. In what direction should the plane fly? How long will the trip take?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the part I am unclear:

x-component: v' cos Θ + V = 0
    y-Component: v' sin Θ + 0 = v

I can understand why V is added to v' cos Θ: both are in the same x-direction.
    I don't understand the reason behind the y-component.
    Also, what is the reason for setting the equation to be zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2013 #2
    V would need to be negative for the first term to work. I think that's saying you need to fly a bit into the wind to go in a straight line. (i.e. in the opposite direction to the wind).

4. Dec 27, 2013 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

If you have a vector, v', that's not parallel to either the x or y axis, then it has a component in both the x and y directions. The sin and cos decompose the magnitude of that vector into its x contribution and y contribution. The plane wants to fly North, so it should have a positive y value, but the x value should be zero, so you enforce this condition. You don't want the plane drifting to the west or east.

5. Dec 27, 2013 #4
    As regards the x-component, the question I were to ask myself would be "given the gust blowing east wards (horizontal) at 190kmh^-1, at what horizontal velocity must the plane be flying such that x=0kmh^-1", am I right?

6. Dec 27, 2013 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

If by x you mean the x-component of the overall velocity vector of the plane, then yes. I clarify this because often x is the position, and something like v_x would be horizontal velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted