Motion in a rapid oscillating field

In summary, the conversation is discussing a specific derivation in Landau-Lifshitz's book "Mechanics" and how to get from a given equation to a desired equation. They talk about using a substitution and expanding in powers of a variable, as well as using a Taylor series expansion. The conversation ends with a clarification on the notation used for derivatives.
electricspit
Hello,

I've been making my way through Landau-Lifshitz's "Mechanics" book, and I've come across a bit of math I'm not too sure about.

What I'm confused about is here:

https://archive.org/details/Mechanics_541

On Page 93 (of the book, not the PDF) under Motion in a rapid oscillating field. The derivation is simple up until you get to the part "Substituting (30.3) in (30.2) and expanding in powers [itex]\xi[/itex] as far as the first order terms...".

The equation they end up with is:

[itex]m\ddot{X}+m\ddot{\xi}=-\frac{dU}{dx}-\xi\frac{d^2U}{dx^2}+f_{(X,t)}+\xi\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}[/itex]

So I'm wondering how they get this using the substitution:

[itex]x_{(t)}=X_{(t)}+\xi_{(t)}[/itex]

into the equation:

[itex]m\ddot{x}=-\frac{dU}{dx}+f_{(t)}[/itex]

where [itex]f_{(t)}=f_1 \cos{\omega t} + f_2 \sin{\omega t}[/itex]

It seems to me there is some strange derivative such as [itex]\frac{d}{d(X_{(t)}+\xi_{(t)})}[/itex] which so far I have had no luck figuring out. Also it seems as though [itex]f_{(t)} → f_{(X,t)}[/itex] which probably has something to do with the transformation. I also believe some sort of Taylor expansion is happening. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numbering your equations:
$$\begin{align}\text{(1) :}& m\ddot{X}+m\ddot{\xi}=-\frac{dU}{dx}-\xi\frac{d^2U}{dx^2}+f_{(X,t)}+\xi\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\\

\text{(2) :}& x_{(t)}=X_{(t)}+\xi_{(t)}\\

\text{(3) :}& m\ddot{x}=-\frac{dU}{dx}+f_{(t)}:\; f_{(t)}=f_1 \cos{\omega t} + f_2 \sin{\omega t}
\end{align}$$ ... did you intend the (X,t) and (t) parts as subscripts there?
(If so, what do they indicate? Partial derivatives?)

You want to get (1) from (2) and (3).

The subscripts are notation for "function-of" in this case, so [itex]f_{(t)}[/itex] would be read "[itex]f[/itex] is a function of [itex]t[/itex]".

Definitely you cannot retrieve this equation by direct substitution, as mentioned in the book which I linked to, they expand "something" (which they don't specifically mention) in terms of [itex]\xi[/itex]. If you read the page I mentioned it will maybe explain a bit more what they are trying to accomplish (page 93 of the book).

Thanks for your fast reply.

OK - "function of" does not need to be in a subscript.
"f is a function of t" would be written ##f(t)##

I see what you mean about the passage: it says "substituting 30.3 into 30.2 and expanding in powers of ##\small \xi## we get ...

That would certainly imply a power series expansion.

Notice that ##f_1## and ##f_2## are functions of the coordinates only - thus the while function ##f## is a function of both the coordinates and time. The position of the mean is given by ##X## so for very small oscillations we may be able to say: ##f(x,t) = f_1(X)\cos\omega t + f_2(X)\sin\omega t = f(X,t)## ... the small oscillations in the motion are given by ##\xi(t)##

But at this point my eyes hurt too much from the tiny text - I'll have to leave you to someone who knows it better.

The force from ##U## on the particle at time ##t## when the particle is at ##x(t) = X(t)+\xi(t)## is given by ##-\frac{dU}{dx}## evaluated at the location of the particle: [tex]-\frac{dU}{dx} \bigg|_{x = X(t) + \xi(t)}[/tex] To first order in ##\xi##, this can be approximated as [tex]-\frac{dU}{dx}\bigg|_{x = X(t)} -\left[ \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{dU}{dx}\right)\right]_{x = X(t)} \cdot \xi(t) = -\frac{dU}{dx}\bigg|_{x = X(t)} -\xi(t)\frac{d^2U}{dx^2} \bigg|_{x = X(t)} [/tex]

Last edited:
Likes 2 people
So that clears those two terms, would the other two then follow from:

[itex]f(X,t)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\xi(t)[/itex]

in first order? this looks like some kind of expansion.

EDIT: In other words, the evaluation of the function at the sum can be interpreted as expanding about [itex]\xi[/itex] but evaluating at [itex]X[/itex]?

electricspit said:
[itex]f(X,t)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\xi(t)[/itex]

in first order? this looks like some kind of expansion.

EDIT: In other words, the evaluation of the function at the sum can be interpreted as expanding about [itex]\xi[/itex] but evaluating at [itex]X[/itex]?

Yes, it's a typical Taylor expansion in x for a fixed time t. The usual language is to say that the expansion is "about the point ##X##", rather than about ##\xi##.

See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TaylorSeries.html

Sorry, I do know a bit about Taylor series, and I did mean "about the point [itex]x=X[/itex]" I just didn't read over my post.

What I don't understand about this specific example is how the derivative is with respect to [itex]X[/itex] rather than [itex]x[/itex]. Usually a Taylor series is:

[itex]f(x)=f(x_0)+(x-x_0)\frac{df}{dx}\bigg|_{x=x_0}[/itex]

which would translate to:

[itex]f(x,t)=f(X,t)+(x(t)-X(t))\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\bigg|_{x=X}[/itex]

with [itex]x(t)-X(t)=\xi(t)[/itex], therefore:

[itex]f(x,t)=f(X,t)+\xi(t)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\bigg|_{x=X}[/itex]

So how does that derivative change from [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial X}[/itex].

Thanks though, this has been extremely helpful.

electricspit said:
[itex]f(x,t)=f(X,t)+\xi(t)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\bigg|_{x=X}[/itex]

So how does that derivative change from [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial X}[/itex].

I think they are just using the notation [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}[/itex] to stand for ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\bigg|_{x=X}##.

Sounds like something Landau and Lifshitz would do, I'll take this as the case for now. Thanks again.

1. What is "Motion in a rapid oscillating field"?

"Motion in a rapid oscillating field" refers to the movement of an object or particle in a field that is constantly changing or oscillating at a high frequency. This type of motion is often seen in systems such as electromagnetic fields or mechanical systems with rapidly moving components.

2. How does motion in a rapid oscillating field differ from regular motion?

In regular motion, an object moves in a straight line at a constant speed. However, in "motion in a rapid oscillating field", the object's motion is affected by the changing field, causing it to move in a more complex or unpredictable pattern.

3. What factors affect an object's motion in a rapid oscillating field?

The main factors that affect an object's motion in a rapid oscillating field are the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations, the properties of the object (such as mass and charge), and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How is motion in a rapid oscillating field studied in scientific research?

Scientists use various methods such as mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental techniques to study motion in a rapid oscillating field. They may also use specialized equipment, such as high-speed cameras or sensors, to track and analyze the motion of objects in these fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of motion in a rapid oscillating field?

One example of a real-world application of motion in a rapid oscillating field is in medical imaging, where magnetic fields are used to create images of the body's internal structures. Another application is in wireless communication, where rapidly oscillating electromagnetic fields are used to transmit signals between devices.