Motion in Two and Three Dimensions

In summary: You wouldn't be the first to overthink things.In summary, a rabbit with an initial velocity of 6m/s towards the east slides across an ice patch with a constant acceleration of 1.4 m/s^2 directed due north. In unit vector notation, the rabbit's velocity is 6i + 4.2j after sliding for 3 seconds.
thegoosegirl42

Homework Statement

A frightened rabbit runs onto a large area of level ice that offers no resistance to sliding, with an initial velocity of 6m/s toward the east. As the rabbit slides across the ice, the force of the wind cases it to have a constant acceleration of 1.4 m/s^2, directed due north. In unit vector notation, what are the rabbit's (a) velocity and (b) position when it has slid for 3s?

Homework Equations

Vf=Vo+at
x=xo+Vo*t+.5*a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the total answers of unit vector added up which for a is 10.2 and for b 24.3 but I don't know how you are to solve it in unit-vector notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
if n is a unit vector pointing north and e is a unit vector pointing east... use those to write an equation describing the velocity as follows...

"The velocity of the rabbit is so-fast north and so-fast east"

the first part is v= for "the velocity of the rabbit is"
the word "and" turns into a plus sign
the directions are replaced by their unit vectors.

Take care though... you must include units with your answer; your answers do not answer the questions... you have calculated the speed and distance traveled and you are asked for the velocity and position (they should have said displacement), you also have the wrong number for speed. Revise your notes on vectors.

Last edited:
thegoosegirl42 said:

Homework Statement

A frightened rabbit runs onto a large area of level ice that offers no resistance to sliding, with an initial velocity of 6m/s toward the east. As the rabbit slides across the ice, the force of the wind cases it to have a constant acceleration of 1.4 m/s^2, directed due north. In unit vector notation, what are the rabbit's (a) velocity and (b) position when it has slid for 3s?

Homework Equations

Vf=Vo+at
x=xo+Vo*t+.5*a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the total answers of unit vector added up which for a is 10.2 and for b 24.3 but I don't know how you are to solve it in unit-vector notation.
Taking "i" as the unit east vector and "j" as the unit north vectors (equivalent to Simon Bridge's "e" and "n"), then, the initial velocity vector, "6m/s toward the east" is 6i and the constant acceleration vector, "1.4 m/s^2, directed due north" is 1.4j.
v= v0+ at= 6i+ 1.4j(3)= 6i+ 4.2j.

Your equations "Vf= Vo+ at" and "x= xo+ Vot+ .5at", since they involve vectors, must be done "component wise". That is, if u= ai+ bj and v= ci+ dj, u+ v= (a+ c)i+ (b+ d)j.

Simon Bridge said:
if n is a unit vector pointing north and e is a unit vector pointing east... use those to write an equation describing the velocity as follows...

"The velocity of the rabbit is so-fast north and so-fast east"

the first part is v= for "the velocity of the rabbit is"
the word "and" turns into a plus sign
the directions are replaced by their unit vectors.

Take care though... you must include units with your answer; your answers do not answer the questions... you have calculated the speed and distance traveled and you are asked for the velocity and position (they should have said displacement), you also have the wrong number for speed. Revise your notes on vectors.
Thank you I was just overthinking something simple!

No worries.
A lot of physics is just treating the maths as a language.

1. What is the difference between motion in two dimensions and motion in three dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to movement that occurs on a flat surface, such as a sheet of paper. This type of motion only involves two coordinates, usually represented as x and y. On the other hand, motion in three dimensions refers to movement that occurs in a three-dimensional space, such as the physical world we live in. This type of motion involves three coordinates, usually represented as x, y, and z.

2. How is velocity calculated in two and three dimensions?

Velocity in two dimensions is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. In three dimensions, velocity is calculated using the same formula, but with three coordinates. This means that the displacement in each direction (x, y, and z) is divided by the change in time to determine the velocity in that direction.

3. What is projectile motion and how is it different from other types of motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. The object follows a curved path, known as a parabola, due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities. This type of motion is different from other types of motion because it involves both horizontal and vertical components, making it a two-dimensional motion.

4. How do vectors play a role in motion in two and three dimensions?

Vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of motion in two and three dimensions. In two-dimensional motion, vectors are represented as arrows on a coordinate plane, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the motion. In three-dimensional motion, vectors are represented as arrows in a three-dimensional space, with the length and direction of the arrow representing the magnitude and direction of the motion in three dimensions.

5. What is the difference between displacement and distance in two and three dimensions?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the movement. This is a vector quantity and is measured in units such as meters or feet. Distance, on the other hand, refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, regardless of its direction. This is a scalar quantity and is measured in units such as meters or feet. In two and three-dimensional motion, displacement and distance can be different due to changes in direction.