Motion of objects (friction, density, force, etc.)

In summary, the speaker is a hobby programmer who is interested in game programming and is self-teaching themselves physics. They have posted their program online for help with the physics aspect and are looking for a more realistic approach. They also mention using a variable called "g_force" to change the gravity in their program and ask for resources on physics and real-world projection and collision.
avgprogrammerjo
Hy guys, I program as an hobby, and have recently gotten into game programing. As I'm to young to have taken any physics classes(I'm doubling up in science to take physics my junior year), I have had to self teach myself what I have learned so far. I am posting it here as I think I will get more of a response that I am looking for, and that is the physics part of it. So I will convert the simple physics part of my program to plain english so you can help me even if you don't know programming.
Code:
    // find volume and mass
    // first we will find volume = h * w
    volume = w * h;

// now let's find mass = V * D
    mass = volume * density;

// now we are going to find the gravity of the object using force = mass * 9.8(earth grav)
    wieght = mass * (g_force * 9.8);

// find friction
    friction = friction_coe * wieght;
Now for the part that is hard to separate from the program. In the program I have it so that if the acceleration is positive it will subtract the friction, and add if negative(going in the left on x axis, or down on y).
I will give you the positive example
Code:
y_var = (y_force - friction) / mass
x_var = (x_force - friction / mass
y =  y + y_var
x = x + x_var

Now for some reason that doesn't seem to be working.
If you don't understand the equations I have layed out, please let me know where and why, as I'm sure I could miss something as it all programing language seems like my second language.
Also is there a more "realistic" way of doing it. I want my objects to be as realistic as possible.

Thanks,

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
wieght = mass * (g_force * 9.8);
Well it should be 'weight', and weight is the product of mass and acceleration of gravity, which is 9.81 m/s2 at the Earth's surface (~ sealevel). It's not clear what one is doing with 'g_force * 9.8'

Friction always works in opposing the motion. It is a shear force.

O, I'm sorry about the confusion, in my program you are able to choose the "g_force." there fore if I entered 1 for the g_force it would be that of gravity, 2 for 2 times that of gravity etc.
g_force is simply a variable which is subject to change, if I were to for example give my world the gravity of the moon, or the planet Jupiter.

Joe

P.S. Do you know of any good articles on physics that relates to real world projection, collision, etc. As I'm trying to learn. I taught myself all of the above, and I kind of want to understand that more, as well as go more in debth as it is really interesting. I can't wait until I can take physics.

Last edited:

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and can slow down or stop the movement of an object.

2. How does the density of an object affect its motion?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. Objects with higher density will generally have more inertia and require more force to move, while objects with lower density will have less inertia and require less force to move.

3. What is the relationship between force and motion?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. According to Newton's laws of motion, an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. How does the surface material affect friction?

The surface material can greatly affect the amount of friction between two objects. Rougher surfaces will have higher friction, while smoother surfaces will have lower friction. Additionally, certain materials such as rubber or felt may have higher coefficients of friction and produce more resistance to motion.

5. Can friction be beneficial?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in many ways. It allows us to walk without slipping, drive a car without skidding, and write with a pencil. Friction also plays a crucial role in many machines and devices, providing traction, grip, and control. Without friction, many everyday tasks would be much more difficult to accomplish.