1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor Torque required for 4 wheel drive electric car

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is 14 kg of mass kept on a chassis (consider chassis weightless). Chassis is having 2 identical rear wheels and 2 Steel caster ball wheels at front. Consider the weight distribution to be equal on each of the wheel. All wheels are coupled to a DC motor-gearbox (1:1) each.The Rear Wheels are having 80mm diameter and made up of rubber and the chassis car is to be moved on a dry vinyl flooring. Adhesion coefficient,μ = 0.85.
    Find the motor torque required if the car is to be moved at 1.2 m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    Torque, τ = F * D/2
    F : traction force required
    D: diameter of wheel

Traction force, F= β * W
    W : weight
    β : adhesion factor

3. The attempt at a solution
    F = 0.85 * 14*9.81 = 116.74 N
    and thus
    τ = 116.74 * 0.080/2 = 4.67 N.mm

Are these formulations and method correct?
    Where and how does the velocity comes into picture?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It seems to me that you have computed the maximum torque that can be applied without skidding. Since no rolling resistance or drag data have been provided, there is no lower limit to the torque required to keep the vehicle moving at a steady speed.

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    I think your calculations are correct but your units should be N-m not N.mm.
    I (we) assume the velocity is constant and that the torque is merely to overcome the adhesion force.

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That assumes 'adhesion coefficient' means that the wheels are tending to stick to the floor, resulting in a constant drag as the vehicle advances. The term was unfamiliar to me so I did a little research before posting (above). As far as I can make out, it is just another term for static friction. This led me to conclude, as I said, that what has been computed in the OP is the maximum torque that can be applied without skidding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted