1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motorcycle Accident - Coefficient of Friction issues

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find the initial speed of a motorcycle that was involved in an accident. The driver lost control and the bike dragged along the asphalt for some distance. I know several variables but my physics is not a strong suit to say the least. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is what I know:

- bike travelled on its side (independently of the driver) for 200 meters
    - nothing but the friction of the road brought the bike to a stop
    - grade of the road - uphill approx 10 degrees
    - motorbike weight - approx 145 kg
    - dry road
    - coefficient of friction of asphalt?

I'd like to know several things:
    - the initial speed
    - the formula used to find the initial speed
    - if the type (i.e. rubber vs metal vs plastic) of contact points and actual surface area of the contact points of the bike on the asphalt make a difference for this calculation and if so how would that factor into the formula? Negligible? Can reasonable assumptions be made for a reasonably accurate initial speed?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could get an estimate of the minimum bike speed by assuming no friction at all.

The bike climbs 200 x sin 10 degrees = about 35 meters

The starting speed to "free wheel" up the hill is given by v = sqrt(2gh) = 26 m/s or about 60 mph minimum.

I don't think you can do much more than that, without a lot more information.

Note: when you say "grade: uphill about 10 degrees" are you sure about that? That's a very steep hill. If you mean the grade is "10:1" that would reduce the speed estimate to about 45 mph minimum.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. Jan 6, 2013 #3
    Thanks Aleph, thats very helpful!

Yes I meant 10:1

5. Jan 6, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The frictional aspect is likely to be the more important. Based on various other metal/nonmetal combinations, if the road was clean and dry I would expect a coefficient of around .4 to .5. Let's say it was at least .3. With a gradient of 0.1, that makes it three times as significant. v = sqrt(2gd(0.1+0.3)) = sqrt(2*10*200*0.4) m/s = 40 m/s = 90mph. Any chance of getting a better estimate for mu?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook