Motors for a scale model plane (airfix not rc)

In summary, the user is considering using 4 motors with an operating voltage of 3.7V in a scale model plane. They are wondering if using 2 AA batteries with a supply voltage of 3V would be sufficient. The expert explains that reducing the voltage will reduce the RPM of the motors and discusses the laws of Faraday and Lorentz which affect the torque and current flow of the motors. They also mention the concerns of having too much current flow and damaging the motors or draining the batteries quickly. Ultimately, the expert suggests using more powerful batteries or wiring multiple AA batteries in parallel to avoid these issues.
rollcast
I'm looking to put motors into a scale model plane and was just wondering whether the motors I've picked will be ok and what sort of supply voltage I would need.

I'm going to use 4 of these.7

Specs:

Operating Voltage: 3.7V
Diameter: 7.0mm
Length: 25.5mm
Output Shaft Diameter: 0.95mm

I assume I would just wire them in parralel to get them all to run at a similar speed and match the polarities to get them running in the same directions.

As they just for display could I just use 2 AA batteries which would give me a supply voltage of 3V or do I need to supply them with exactly 3.7V?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
i would assume that the operating voltage is the voltage which causes them to run at their maximum performance of not causing damage to themselves, reducing the voltage would reduce the RPM of the motors, since voltage is the same as rate of magnetic polarity change , this is Faraday's Law ... the torque on the motors are proportional to the current flowing through them, this is the Lorentz Force Law

basically, the motors will start off with nothing but Lorentz force from a standstill, it will draw a lot of current and speed up quickly... as the motor's rate of rotation increases, it will experience more and more of Faraday's Law , and less and less Lorentz force, because it will create its own voltage which cancels out your AA batteries' voltage, reducing the voltage differential across the motor, until it has reached its maximum speed where by the motor is generating 3 volts, hence no current will flow because there is no voltage differential, so there will be no Lorentz force and no torque...

in reality, there will be friction in the motor (not to mention whatever you are using them for) , which tends to increase as the RPM increases so the Lorentz force will be required to overcome this and there will be a continuous draw of current
secondly, there is resistance in the motor itself, which is Ohm's law, which means that there is a limit on how much current will flow through the motor, which means how much torque the motor will have ... because the resistance in the motor is constant (if you don't let it heat up) , the higher the voltage, the higher the current , and the more torque you will get, but if you have too high a voltage, you will damage the commutators by causing them to spark ,this is why the motor is specified at 3.7 volts... since you are running with less voltage than the specification of the motor, this will not be a worry for you...
and lastly, the batteries themselves have resistance, which means that the higher the output current, the lower the voltage ... if you have the maximum amount of current coming out of the battery, i.e. a short circuit, the internal resistance of the batteries will receive all 3v of the battery, and technically the battery isn't giving out voltage

but the other concern is having too much current flow through the motors... by Faraday's Law, the slower the motor turns, the less the voltage it generates to counter the voltage you supply, and by Ohm's law, this large voltage differential will create a large current flow... if for whatever reason one of the motors is not able to turn, it will 'suck' power from all the other motors (since they are wired in parallel) and all your other motors will turn at just enough RPM to generate a voltage that matches whatever voltage is left after the batteries' internal resistance, because your AA batteries will be practically in a short circuit condition...
if your batteries were more powerful (techincally less internal resistance , more current output at the same voltage) , or if you have enough AA batteries wired in parallel (to divide the internal resistance), the high current would overheat and damage the stuck motor ... but with a single pair of AA batteries, having a motor with insufficient power to start turning would just drain your AA batteries quickly and nothing else

1. What type of motor is best for a scale model plane?

The best type of motor for a scale model plane is a small, lightweight electric motor. These motors are compact and efficient, making them ideal for powering a small plane. Additionally, electric motors are easy to install and maintain, and they do not require fuel or emit harmful emissions.

2. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my scale model plane?

The appropriate motor size for a scale model plane depends on several factors, including the size and weight of the plane, the desired speed and power, and the type of propeller being used. It is best to consult with the manufacturer or a knowledgeable hobbyist for specific recommendations for your particular plane.

3. Can I use a motor from a different model or brand on my scale model plane?

It is not recommended to use a motor from a different model or brand on your scale model plane without consulting with the manufacturer or doing extensive research. Motors are designed to work with specific planes and using an incompatible motor could result in poor performance or even damage to your plane.

4. What is the difference between brushed and brushless motors?

Brushed motors have physical brushes that make contact with the motor's commutator to transfer power, while brushless motors use electronic commutation to control the power flow. Brushless motors are typically more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance compared to brushed motors. However, brushed motors are usually less expensive.

5. How do I properly maintain and care for my motor?

To properly maintain and care for your motor, it is important to regularly clean it, check for any loose connections or damaged parts, and lubricate any moving parts as needed. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for storage and handling to ensure the longevity of your motor. If you notice any issues or abnormalities with your motor, it is best to consult with the manufacturer or a professional for assistance.