Powering RC Hobby Motor with Integy 7.2V Battery

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jjohnson54
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello all,
I have a Integy 7.2V 1600mah battery that powers a RC hobby motor. I was wondering if RC batteries supply constant voltage to the motor for a certain amount of time before they start dieing or if the battery voltage continuously decreases as you power the motor until the battery dies.
Thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I googled "nimh discharge curve" and got a lot of pretty pictures, where the first was this: http://shdesigns.org/batts/battcyc.html

I'm a little surprised because I thought Nicads had a sharp drop-off, but NiMH (as yours appears to be) seem to have an even sharper death drop at the end...hmm, actually here's a better page: http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm that compares them to regular alkaline non-rechargeables. NiMH have a flatter use curve but die much more suddenly than alkalines.
 
The discharge curve (voltage vs. time) also varies of course with discharge rate. The curve drop off will increase rapidly and non-linearly once the discharge rate goes above 2-3C.