Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie/game physics you wish would be accurate

Tags:
  1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    Are there any common movie physics mistakes that you wish would be changed into something more realistic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Oh where to start?!?!

1. Depressurization of a spaceship into space sucking everything out like a tornado for minutes on end.
    2. Freezing/exploding in vacuum in about 5 seconds.
    3. People immediately dying from wounds that would take minutes-hours to die from. IE getting stabbed or shot in the abdomen and immediately dying. (More biology than physics)
    4. Ridiculous explosions. (Since when does a frag hand grenade destroy an entire bus?!)

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Explosive decompression of an aircraft from a bullet or small hole in an airplane. It's pretty much ruined me from ever flying.

5. Jul 26, 2011 #4
    1. Easy gravity on spaceships.
    2. Sound in space.
    3. Infiltrating some military/pseudo-military base always starts with stupidly easy neck-breaks or throat slits and very little noise.
    4. Aliens invading the planet... for its resources.

6. Jul 27, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

The latter one definitely! I've yet to see a film that has a plausible reason for aliens attacking us. To add to what we have so far:

1. Spaceships that look like they were built (badly) for flying in atmosphere
    2. Humanity winning in a fight with aliens far more advanced
    3. Counter to one of Drakkith's when people get shot in the arm/leg and act fine. Sure they limp for a while then you see them running and fighting later.
    4. Infections that take seconds to take hold
    5. Cures that take seconds to work
    6. Cures for diseases that are knocked up in a couple of hours by one man/team in a single lab (there's artistic license but most experiments don't even take that long! One drug takes $0.5billion dollars and ten dedicated years to produce)
    7. The idea that scientists don't know anything (especially about "real" life or ethics) and play god all the time.
    That's all for now...

7. Jul 27, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I HATE this!! For example, independence day was SO STUPID. I loved how they somehow uploaded a virus using a MAC interface that, without any prior knowledge of how their computer systems really worked, would disable the ENTIRE CIVILIZATIONS collection of ships. Then of course, the big 15km wide ships had 0 defenses against our fighters. Sure they had their swarm of little single person ships flying out as defense, but even our aircraft carriers have tremendous defense mechanisms.

What other movie was god awful in this respect...

You know what I also hate even though it has nothing to do with movies and inaccuracies? How no matter how horrific the movie was, everyone is all happy at the end. This was ESPECIALLY true for independence day (sorry I just saw it a few weeks ago again). Let's summarize what happened in the movie.

1) Every major city in the world was destroyed
    2) Over a billion people had to have died, at LEAST
    3) The militaries of the world were nearly decimated and vulnerable to a second attack
    4) The President's wife had just died

Yet at the end of the movie everyone was celebrating, cracking jokes, smiling, lighting off fireworks. A biblical scale apocalypse had just befallen mankind and they're smoking cigars!!

8. Jul 27, 2011 #7

Drakkith

Oh god, flag number 7 with a freakin siren. I can't stand the way most scientists are portrayed.

9. Jul 27, 2011 #8

Ryan_m_b

Exactly!!! Why didn't these 15km wide saucers have turrets of their own? Actually screw that they could have just turned off their antigravity for a few seconds and let the fall of the saucer cause horrendous wind's crashing the human planes as well as increasing the air pressure so much it kills everyone.

The computer virus thing...don't even go there. I'm still shocked from it.

The new http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Z_D9Grh18" film is blowing my head up in rage in this respect. Basic plot;
    Scientist: I'm trying to make a cure for Alzhiemer's!!!
    Normal person: Some thing's weren't meant to be meddled with
    Scientist: Screw you, I'm going to do this experiment
    Result = a bunch of savant apes wipe out the human race.

So stupid it sucks IQ through your nose just looking at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Jul 27, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think someone took hints off the movie (they gave the mass of each saucer at one point, or at least it could be determined from what was said) and tried to calculate approximately what kinda force would have taken to keep the ships in the air. I think it was so ridiculous that the hell with having to let the ship fall and destroy everything with wind damage, the propulsion would have had to have been so massive that it would have been ridiculously ruinous to anything below it.

Hell, i think they said the mothership was 1/4 the size of the moon. They could have literally pushed the Earth into an orbit that killed all live immediately yet left all the resources available. How stupid are they?

I also hate this non-morality and stupidity of science in those movies too! Hell, in my experience, scientists are FAR MORE conscientious and thoughtful about their actions than the average person is. Mainly because most people seem to do things with little understanding of the consequences.

11. Jul 27, 2011 #10

Ryan_m_b

:surprised 1/4 of the moon!!!! But didn't they blow it up with one nuclear bomb at the end?? Ridiculous film.

12. Jul 27, 2011 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh yes, I forgot about that!

Well, it obviously was placed right next to the super fusion power core because they used x-ray vision to look through th emothership to find the perfect spot to dock in next to the fusion power core.

13. Jul 27, 2011 #12
    One that really got to me was that piece o'crap called 2012, where just about every land mass on earth collapsed into the earth (since when is the earth hollow?), and tidal waves were so huge that they reached into the Himalayas.

14. Jul 27, 2011 #13
    Time Travel. How many times do people have to have time travel in a story and screw it up before people realize that it is not only extremely problematic but horribly horribly over used? Its just getting annoying.

15. Jul 27, 2011 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUTUVVRtFA

Anyway, something I see in games all the times but which annoys the hell out of me. If you jump or fall off something, you can always use the arrow keys to fall/jump to the left. So when jumping on a platform, you can fall a bit leftwards, and then adjust it a bit rightwards. REAL LIFE DOESN'T WORK THIS WAY!!

Also, game characters which jump off high platforms and who are not dead.

16. Jul 27, 2011 #15

Ryan_m_b

Not only that but how misused it is. I can't watch Dr Who without thinking every 5 seconds "let her die whilst you run for your TIME MACHINE and go back to stop her doing it in the first place". In the majority of film and tv a "time machine" is just a lazy plot device that can carry the characters to specific places where the story runs in normal time.

17. Jul 27, 2011 #16
    Yes, but don't forget that in the Dr. Who universe:

18. Jul 27, 2011 #17
    how come the scientist never plays the main role? It's always some guy who gets all the girls

19. Jul 27, 2011 #18
    Erm… I get what you guys are talking about, but the way that it seems to upset you so much reminds me a little of the reaction you used to get to the Dukes of Hazard. Remember them? Every one used to scoff in such sardonic terms about the idea that the car could really fly through the air like that and still be driveable after it landed. As if the rest of the program was a penetrating insight into the ordinary lives of rural people in the Deep South. Generally, I am not a fan of programs or films that require that much suspension of disbelief, but at least The Dukes of Hazard had its tongue firmly in its cheek. I suppose I’m mystified as to why you go and watch these films if they upset you so much. Personally, I’d rather have my toenails drawn without benefit of anaesthetic.

Enis you dipstick! You scuffed my ve-hic-le!

20. Jul 27, 2011 #19
    Video games: Beat up villain after villain, all the while watching their health meter drop, and once it reaches the end, you only need one strike and they're KO! And I'm not starting on how characters respond to bullets or other weapon attacks.

In movies/tv: Something kind of cute are invincible characters. The oldest example is in the old television series for Superman. Guy with gun shoots Superman and Superman just stands there while the rounds bounce off his chest. Then the robber runs out of bullets and throws the gun at him, I guess out of frustration, and Superman ducks. I still catch these things once in a while. Even the last Superman movie showed a robber with a minigun expire all the rounds and so he decided to try a pistol.

21. Jul 27, 2011 #20

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Movies are in another world with different laws of physics.
    What's left for you to discover is what these laws are, be amazed, and enjoy the sense of wonder.

For instance, did you ever notice that when a cartoon figure runs out over a cliff, he never falls immediately?
    No, it's only when they realize what's happening, that they suddenly and abruptly fall.
    Typically body-first and the head afterward.
    This law is always and consistently applied afaik. :smile:

This is not wrong, it's just different!
    The challenge is to discover all the laws and find out how consistent they are.
    And if they're not consistent, obviously we need to adjust our empirical model!

So:
    1. We always have sound in vacuum. Something is wrong with the movie if it's eerily silent!
    2. We can always see lasers in vacuum. Did you ever see a science fiction movie, where you couldn't see them? That would just be plain wrong! :wink:
    3. ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook