Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving a static electric field

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    Hi Gang,

I have a basic understanding of electricity and magnetism but I am unclear on something. I will be quite general here so please read through my poorly worded questions and try to see what I am really trying to understand.

Assumptions:
    An active current loop with DC current emits a static electric field.
    When this field is electrically oscillated ie. AC, it can radiate further, hence radio.

So, what happens when a static DC current loop is physically moved? Will it radiate?

If there is a 1KHz AC sine current in the loop, will it radiate the same as if this same loop had a DC current and was rotated at 1KHz?

Can you transmit electric fields by physically moving a static electric field in a loop?

I asked this in several ways, I know. Tell me what you guys think, and why?

I appreciate the help,

- Rjay

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2
    Aw, cmon! 24 looks and no answers? Surely, one of you bright Physicists can answer this. (Yes, I know, don't call me Shirley) :-)

I consulted a physicist at work today and they thought that it didn't matter how you moved the charge, whether by electromotive force or simply moving the circuit...you would have the same radiated result.

Anyone dispute?

Questions?, Comments?....Snide remarks?

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, whatever the cause, as long as you have fields which change in time and space then you will have some radiated energy. It is not very efficient to do it that way but in principle it would radiate.

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4
    Thank you DaleSpam!
    Best Regards,
    Rjay

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook