Determining Optimal Moving Average Period for Cyclical Sales

In summary, the conversation discusses using a moving average to optimize performance, but the speaker is unsure of how to determine the appropriate period for the average. They inquire about a mathematical formula or method for selecting the ideal period, giving an example of measuring cyclical sales and wanting to forecast the next day. The other person suggests comparing different cut points and looking at the variance, while also mentioning the possibility of using exponential averaging.
Hodgey8806
Hello,

I'm trying to use a moving average to optimize performance. However, I don't want to just choose an arbitrary period to begin with. Do you have any suggestions as to how to determine the proper period to begin with. What I'm asking is:
Is there a mathematical formula to determine the appropriate period?
For example: I'm measuring a cyclical sales and would like to forecast the next day using moving averages.
I don't want to arbitrarily choose 30 days. I'd like to know if there is something else I could do.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal period would be one such that your data at time t is equal to your data one period later, d(t) = d(t+p).
You could select a few different cut points, and compare using a least squared difference term.
Let's say you have data from t = 1 to N, and you set p = 5, then you might look at the variance of the set [d(1), d(6), ... , d(1+5k) ]
Taking the average of the 5 variances could give you a useful measure.

I think RUber makes a good point. There are methods for rigorously determining the characteristics of a moving average (or other filter) of a certain length. However, the basic idea is that the averaging period is chosen to match some known cycle and filter out others. For example, a moving yearly average of, e.g., temperature at a certain place would tend to show you the interannual differences while suppressing the seasonal cycles.

Exponential is an option:

a*d(t)+(1-a)*d(t-1). 0<a<1

1. What is a moving average and how is it used in determining optimal period for cyclical sales?

A moving average is a statistical calculation that is used to analyze data over a specific period of time in order to identify trends or patterns. In determining the optimal period for cyclical sales, a moving average is used to smooth out any fluctuations in the data and provide a clearer understanding of the overall trend.

2. Why is it important to determine the optimal period for cyclical sales?

Determining the optimal period for cyclical sales is important because it allows businesses to better understand the patterns of their sales and make informed decisions about when to increase or decrease production, marketing efforts, and inventory levels. It can also help businesses forecast future sales and plan accordingly.

3. What factors should be considered when determining the optimal moving average period for cyclical sales?

There are several factors that should be considered when determining the optimal moving average period for cyclical sales. These include the length of the business cycle, the level of volatility in the data, and the specific objectives of the analysis (e.g. identifying short-term trends vs. long-term trends).

4. Can the optimal moving average period for cyclical sales change over time?

Yes, the optimal moving average period for cyclical sales can change over time. This is because businesses and markets are constantly evolving and the length of the business cycle or the level of volatility in the data may change. It is important to regularly reassess and adjust the moving average period to ensure it is still providing accurate insights.

5. Are there any limitations to using a moving average in determining the optimal period for cyclical sales?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a moving average in determining the optimal period for cyclical sales. For example, the moving average may not accurately reflect sudden changes or outliers in the data. It is also important to keep in mind that a moving average is just one tool in the analysis of cyclical sales and should be used in conjunction with other methods for a more comprehensive understanding.