MQA is Dead: Lessons in Bad Marketing from Audiophile World

• Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
Hi All

Some may know I am an audiophile.

A few years ago, with a lot of hype and no small measure of BS, a new format appeared, called MQA. It created a lot of controversy for various reasons like the need for a special decoder, watermarking of the audio, bit stacking, and a special light on the DAC that came on with MQA material supposedly indicating you are getting what the audio engineer intended (o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)). To be blunt, I found the marketing around it somewhat obnoxious. I did investigate how it worked, but the full detail was hard to find. I liked it for what it's worth, but some didn't. That's nothing new in high-end audio.

Anyway, they are now bust. IMHO, it is a lesson in how marketing BS can destroy what is not a bad idea.

Now it is a bust, a paper has been published with more of the technical detail of MQA, which wasn't easy to find previously:
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20456

It is an updated version of a previous one that had less detail.

The reason I posted it is that MQA stated (I think in Stereophile) that well over 99% of the material, when they chop off and dither the noisy bottom bits, there is nothing above 48khz left, so it is just a normal band-limited signal - but band-limited using a sneaky method and can be transmitted at 96k using a common compression algorithm called FLAC. FLAC has an interesting feature. If, say, a 24-bit source is used and you set the lower 8 bits, to zero, then it compresses to the same size as if it was 16 bits. It is called bit freezing. No sneaky origami, etc., is required; use FLAC with bit-freezing, and you have MQA without the BS - just an unusual way of band-limiting material distributed at 96k that supposedly reduced time smear. It doesn't matter what the sample frequency was before - these days, masters are often done in 2xDSD or even 4XDSD it is easy to convert it to 96k with just the higher frequencies that acually contain noise attenuated a bit. For the very few cases where some musical detail is chopped off, you go to 192k Flac. Sure, the material above 24khz is slightly lowered - but that is way above audibility.

If they had done that, you would not need special decoders, watermarking the audio, this authentication stuff lighting up a stupid light and all the rubbish around it, i.e. no BS. It might have succeeded then.

It is an example of how a good idea can be ruined by bad marketing.

Thanks
Bill

• Informative
Likes Bystander
Engineering news on Phys.org
Reminds me of something popular in The Old West here in the US.

(per Google)

View attachment 331882 snake oil​

/ˈsnāk ˌoil/

noun
a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases.

Traveling salesmen would go around, making short stops in various towns, and put on a show trying to sell their 'Magic Cure for [enter your condition - whatever it is].'

Likes Delta Prime and bhobba

What is MQA and why is it considered "dead" in the audiophile world?

MQA stands for Master Quality Authenticated and is a type of audio encoding technology that claims to deliver high-resolution audio in a smaller file size. It has faced criticism from audiophiles for its proprietary nature and lack of transparency in its encoding process, leading to its perceived "death" in the audiophile world.

What marketing mistakes were made by MQA?

MQA's marketing strategy was heavily focused on exclusivity and partnerships with high-end audio companies, which alienated many audiophiles who did not have access to or could not afford these products. Additionally, their lack of transparency and failure to provide evidence of their claims also hurt their credibility.

Did MQA's demise affect the overall development of audio technology?

No, MQA's downfall did not significantly impact the development of audio technology. In fact, it opened up space for other companies and technologies to thrive and offer more transparent and accessible high-resolution audio options.

What lessons can other companies learn from MQA's marketing mistakes?

Other companies can learn the importance of transparency and inclusivity in their marketing strategies. It is crucial to provide evidence and be open about your product or technology to gain trust and credibility from consumers.

Is there still a future for MQA in the audiophile world?

It is uncertain if MQA will make a comeback in the audiophile world. However, they have recently made efforts to be more transparent and open, which may help them regain trust and credibility from consumers. Only time will tell if they will have a future in the market.

Back