Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mr. Wizard

1. May 21, 2004 #1
    I was watching the Science Channel tonight and they're playing old science shows. Tonight it was "Watch Mr. Wizard". I watched a couple of episodes and thought, "This show was ahead of its time." I remember watching, years ago, the last bit of the Mr. Wizard shows, when he was older. Do y'all remember watching this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2004 #2
    There was a show on TV at like 4:30 in the morning when I was really young that I always used to wake up and watch. It was a show that ran all sorts of little science experiments and it was really neat. I don't remember what it was called, though...

For some reason "Mr. Wizard" reminded me of that.

cookiemonster

4. May 21, 2004 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

Since I'm older than Evo (who's older than dirt) I can tell you that I remember watching Mr. Wizard when he was YOUNG!! :surprise: :biggrin: :eek:

5. May 21, 2004 #4
    I miss Mr. Wizard! I still remember things from that show!

I remember for instance how he showed that when we lay down, we get taller. He also showed why hollow tubes are stronger than solid ones with respect to bending.

I learned so much from that show!

There is absolutely nothing on television anymore that even compares to what i got from that show.

I also remember when they demostrated walkie-talkies.

And when he projected a skeleton over his body to make it look like you were looking through his body.

Or when he demostrated telescopes.

And this was a decade and a half ago that I remember this from! I don't remember ANYTHING from that period with any kind of detail, but I remember Mr. Wizard!

6. May 21, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Evo is older then dirt.... What does that make me?

I also recall Mr Wizard when he was young, didn't realize it at the time. Great show.

7. May 21, 2004 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

Two answers come to mind here. I like them both. You pick the one you like the best: :wink:

Ever heard of a guy named Methuselah? :biggrin:
    Ever heard of the Big Bang? :surprise:

8. May 21, 2004 #7
    Integral perhaps knows Adam.

9. May 22, 2004 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

HEY!!
    SciFi channel is showing a whole bunch of Mr. Wizards this morning! Maybe all weekend, too?

10. May 22, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Integral could be Santa Claus, he has been around forever. Do you have a beard Integral? I have been a good boy so far this year.

11. May 22, 2004 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

LoL, I resemble that remark!

Methusala and I used to have to dodge around Adam, the street bully, to get to the TV set. We had trouble with reception though, 'cus the Rabbitears kept hopping off!

12. May 22, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! Can i see your Reindeer?? Im so excited!!

13. May 22, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

SANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOO

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. May 22, 2004 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

How do Rabbitears hop?

15. May 22, 2004 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Back then they were still attached to rabbits???

16. May 22, 2004 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Integral, you stil take my breath away. :approve: When are you going to finish that time machine so we can go back 20 years? :smile:

There was a show about 8 years ago(?) called Beakman's World that was really great.

17. May 22, 2004 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

I remember that show. It WAS good...

18. May 22, 2004 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo,
    You are too kind, or very sarcastic.~^ 20yrs sounds about right, .... now were did I put that flux capacitor?

I also recall Beakman's world, good science with humor!

19. May 23, 2004 #18

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Integral, you handsome devil!

Integral, you old coot---you're as grey as I am! :smile:

And I also remember Mr Wizard and Beakman. Great stuff!

20. May 23, 2004 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I don't remember Mr. Wizard but I do remember Beakman's World with that big rat and those pinguins at the end of the show.

21. May 23, 2004 #20
    Mr. Wizard was great because it was just the science. Just the experiment. Today, Bill Nye and Beakman's World and other kids' science programs are so encumbered by the distracting "wacky act" they have to put on to make science "fun."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?