1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Msc in science writing?

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    I'm just playing with ideas for the future right now, but I saw a flyer for MIT's http://web.mit.edu/sciwrite/index.html" (1 year). If I was able to fund it and wanted to do the program, but also wanted to do grad school, should I wait to do the science writing grad program before a Ph.D or does it matter?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think it would matter. By doing your graduate work first, you would have a much deeper pool of knowledge and research experience to draw on in your writing. By doing the writing program first, you would gain skills that might lead to part-time work to supplement your graduate school income.

The tuition seems ridiculous to me.

Personally, I think we need more skilled and educated scientific journalists in the world and so I think that this kind of a program is a great thing.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    Why not compromise? Get your master's. Then get your writing degree. You'll probably welcome the change/opportunity to do something different.

From the link... "A program for English majors, working scientists, journalists, freelance writers, and others in which to learn the art and discipline of science writing."

Wow, is that even possible? English majors and working scientists profiting from the same program? That sounds incredibly ambitious, but...

Amen!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook