• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Msc in science writing?

• Thread starter Ai52487963
  • Start date
I'm just playing with ideas for the future right now, but I saw a flyer for MIT's http://web.mit.edu/sciwrite/index.html" (1 year). If I was able to fund it and wanted to do the program, but also wanted to do grad school, should I wait to do the science writing grad program before a Ph.D or does it matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I don't think it would matter. By doing your graduate work first, you would have a much deeper pool of knowledge and research experience to draw on in your writing. By doing the writing program first, you would gain skills that might lead to part-time work to supplement your graduate school income.

The tuition seems ridiculous to me.

Personally, I think we need more skilled and educated scientific journalists in the world and so I think that this kind of a program is a great thing.

Why not compromise? Get your master's. Then get your writing degree. You'll probably welcome the change/opportunity to do something different.

From the link... "A program for English majors, working scientists, journalists, freelance writers, and others in which to learn the art and discipline of science writing."

Wow, is that even possible? English majors and working scientists profiting from the same program? That sounds incredibly ambitious, but...

Personally, I think we need more skilled and educated scientific journalists in the world and so I think that this kind of a program is a great thing.
Amen!