MSc in Science Writing: Should I Wait for Grad School?

In summary, a person is considering attending MIT's science writing program and is unsure if they should do it before or after a PhD program. They receive advice to do the graduate work first since it will provide more knowledge and research experience. The individual also expresses their belief that the program is beneficial for both English majors and working scientists.
Ai52487963
I'm just playing with ideas for the future right now, but I saw a flyer for MIT's http://web.mit.edu/sciwrite/index.html" (1 year). If I was able to fund it and wanted to do the program, but also wanted to do grad school, should I wait to do the science writing grad program before a Ph.D or does it matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it would matter. By doing your graduate work first, you would have a much deeper pool of knowledge and research experience to draw on in your writing. By doing the writing program first, you would gain skills that might lead to part-time work to supplement your graduate school income.

The tuition seems ridiculous to me.

Personally, I think we need more skilled and educated scientific journalists in the world and so I think that this kind of a program is a great thing.

Why not compromise? Get your master's. Then get your writing degree. You'll probably welcome the change/opportunity to do something different.

From the link... "A program for English majors, working scientists, journalists, freelance writers, and others in which to learn the art and discipline of science writing."

Wow, is that even possible? English majors and working scientists profiting from the same program? That sounds incredibly ambitious, but...

Choppy said:
Personally, I think we need more skilled and educated scientific journalists in the world and so I think that this kind of a program is a great thing.

Amen!

1. What is the purpose of an MSc in Science Writing?

An MSc in Science Writing is a graduate-level program that combines scientific knowledge with writing skills to effectively communicate complex scientific information to a variety of audiences. This program prepares individuals for careers in science journalism, technical writing, science communication, and other related fields.

2. Is an MSc in Science Writing worth the investment?

The value of an MSc in Science Writing depends on an individual's career goals and interests. If you are passionate about science and writing, this program can provide the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in various industries. Additionally, the demand for skilled science writers is growing, making it a potentially lucrative career option.

3. What are the admission requirements for an MSc in Science Writing?

Admission requirements vary by institution, but most programs require a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as science, journalism, or English. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA, standardized test scores, and writing samples. It is best to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. Should I wait to pursue an MSc in Science Writing after gaining work experience?

Whether or not to wait to pursue an MSc in Science Writing depends on your personal circumstances and career goals. Some individuals may benefit from gaining work experience before graduate school, as it can provide practical skills and a better understanding of the industry. However, for others, pursuing the degree immediately after completing their undergraduate studies may be the best option.

5. Can I pursue an MSc in Science Writing if I do not have a science background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MSc in Science Writing without a science background. While some programs may prefer applicants with a science background, many programs welcome individuals from diverse academic backgrounds. It is important to research the specific program's requirements and determine if you have the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in the program.