MTW Gravitation problems 6.5, 6.8

• Thread starter IAmAZucchini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, the problem at hand involves an accelerated observer using a radar set to measure distance. The accuracy of the output reading is questioned and a formula relating the output to the actual distance is derived. The observer also transports his orthonormal tetrad and the rotational part of the transport law produces a rotation in the plane perpendicular to his 4-velocity and a vector orthogonal to it. The final part involves showing the rotation of the space vectors of the first tetrad relative to the second tetrad with an angular velocity vector of \omega. The solution to this involves understanding the concept of rotating tetrads and possibly transforming coordinates.
IAmAZucchini
Hello! I'm stuck on these two problems, any help is appreciated!

Homework Statement

Use radar as a distance-measuring device. The radar set measures its proper time [tex]\tau[/tex] between the instant at which it emits a pulse and the later instant when it receives the reflected pulse. It then performs the simple computation [tex]L_{0}=\tau/2[/tex] and supplies as output the "distance" [tex]L_{0}[/tex]. How accurate is the output reading of the radar set for measuring the actual distance L to the object, when used by a uniformly accelerated observer? (L is defined as the distance in the momentary rest frame of the observer at the instant the pulse is reflected, which is at the observer's proper time halfway between emitting and receiving the pulse.) Give a correct forumula relating [tex]L_{0}[/tex] [tex]\overline{=}[/tex] [tex]\tau/2[/tex] to the actual distance L. Show that the reading [tex]L_{0}[/tex] becomes infinite as L approaches [tex]g^{-1}[/tex], where g is the observer's acceleration, as measured by an accelerometer he carries.

Homework Equations

[tex]gt=sinh(g \tau)[/tex]
[tex]gx=cosh(g \tau)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to find [tex]\tau[/tex] in terms of L.
Let [tex]x_{1L}[/tex] be the distance the light has traveled at the moment of reflection, and [tex]x_{1R}[/tex] be the distance the spaceship has traveled at the moment of reflection. Then [tex]L=x_{1R} - x_{1L}[/tex]. Setting [tex]\tau_{L}[/tex] to be the proper time at which reflection occurs, and plugging in the "relevant equations", we get
[tex]\tau_{L} = - g^{-1} arcsinh (g x_{1L} )[/tex]
so
[tex]x_{1R} = g^{-1} cosh (arcsinh(g x_{1L}) ) = g^{-1} \sqrt{g^{2} x_{1L}^{2} + 1 }[/tex]
so [tex]L=x_{1R} - x_{1L}[/tex] solves to
[tex]x_{1L}= (1-L^{2}g^{2}) / (2g^{2}L)[/tex]

And then, at reabsorption of the radar beam, the light and the rocket are once again at the same coordinates, so
[tex]ct - 2x_{1L} = g^{-1}sinh(g \tau) - (1-L^{2}g^{2}) / (g^{2}L) = g^{-1} cosh(g \tau)[/tex]
From this follows that
[tex]sinh(g \tau) - cosh(g \tau) = - (1-L^{2}g^{2}) / (g L)[/tex]
=>
[tex]e^{-g\tau} = (1-L^{2}g^{2}) / (g L)[/tex]
i.e.
[tex]L_{0} = \tau / 2 = g^{-1} ln(\sqrt{ gL / (1-L^{2}g^{2})})[/tex]

Note that this satisfies the condition that as L->1/g, [tex]L_{0}[/tex] -> infinity.

However, in the other limiting condition, as L->0, this formula also gives that [tex]L_{0}[/tex] -> -infinity.
Clearly this is wrong...

Intuitively, I feel that the answer should take the form
[tex]L_{0}=L/\sqrt{1-g^{2}L^{2}}[/tex], because this is basically length contraction. I don't know where I went wrong though, and I can't find a mistake in my logic or my math.

Thanks for any suggestions...

I'll post my question about 6.8 in the next post (same thread)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And now, problem 6.8, which is a beast that I am having a lot more trouble wrapping my head around.

the problem:
Fremi-Walker plus spatial rotation. Observer transports his orthonormal tetrad in the following fashion:

[tex]\Omega^{\mu\nu} = a^{\mu}u^{\nu} - a^{\nu}u^{\nu} + u_{\alpha}\omega_{\beta}\epsilon^{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}[/tex]

where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is Levi-Civita and [tex]\omega[/tex] is a vector orthogonal to 4-velocity u.

a) let [tex]e_{0'}=u[/tex]. Show this is permitted by his transport law and that [tex]de_{\alpha'}/d\tau = - \Omega \cdot e_{\alpha'}[/tex]. (easy)

b) show that the rotational part of the transport law produces a rotation in the plane perpendicular to u and [tex]\omega[/tex] (easy)

here's where I start having trouble.

c) suppose the accelerated observer Fermi-Walker transports a second orthonormal tetrad [tex]e_{\alpha''}[/tex]. Show that the space vectors of this first tetrad rotate relative to those of his second tetrad with angular velocity vector equal to [tex]\omega[/tex]. i.e., show that at the moment when the tetrads coincide, show that (in three-dimensional notation, referring to the 3-space orthogonal to the observer's world line):
[tex]d(e_{j'} - e_{j''})/d\tau = \omega \times e_{j'}[/tex]

attempt (?) at a solution

I'm mostly having trouble wrapping my head around what this means. In class, we showed that [tex]d(e_{j})/d\tau = \omega \times e_{j}[/tex]. Does this mean that I simply have to show that [tex]de_{j''}/d\tau = 0[/tex]? If the second tetrad is not rotating, then wouldn't the first tetrad obviously rotate relative to it with angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] in the local lorentz frame? Do I need to actually transform coordinates?

I think I can figure out parts d, e, and f on my own, but I have yet to try to work them - they look straightforward, though. I may post questions about those and/or 7.1 later tonight or tomorrow ... need to study for a Math Methods exam as well...

Again, thanks for any help you can offer. I'm left a little confused by the question, although all the preceding material in the chapter more or less makes sense. Not asking for a solution, but a nudge in the right train of thought direction would certainly help!

1. What are the main concepts and equations covered in MTW Gravitation problems 6.5 and 6.8?

The main concepts covered in these problems include the Einstein field equations, the Schwarzschild metric, and the geodesic equation. The equations used include the Ricci tensor, the Einstein tensor, and the Christoffel symbols.

2. How do these problems relate to gravitational theories and general relativity?

MTW Gravitation problems 6.5 and 6.8 are based on the principles of general relativity and the theory of gravitation. These problems involve calculating the effects of gravity on a massive object, using the equations and concepts of general relativity.

3. What are the steps to solving these types of gravitational problems?

To solve these problems, you must first understand the given scenario and identify the relevant equations and concepts. Then, you must use mathematical calculations to solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the scenario in order to better understand the problem.

4. Can these problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, these problems can be applied to real-world situations, as general relativity is used to explain the behavior of gravity in our universe. The equations and concepts used in these problems have been applied in various fields, such as astrophysics and cosmology, to understand the behavior of massive objects in space.

5. Are there any common mistakes or challenges when solving these types of problems?

One common mistake when solving these problems is not properly applying the equations or misinterpreting the given scenario. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Additionally, these problems can be challenging due to the complex mathematical calculations involved, so it is important to check your work and make sure all equations and variables are used correctly.