Making Mulled Wine in the Microwave

• Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, this person is looking for a recipe for microwavable mulled wine, but is not sure if it exists as a separate entity. They tried a recipe and found that it can be altered to taste. They are taking the wine to a place with a microwave only.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, here's the deal. I'm supposed to get mulled wine for tonight... except we don't have a stove or anything, just a microwave. It's been suggested to me that there's such a thing as "microwavable mulled wine" but I'm not sure. So two part question

1.) Does microwavable mulled wine exist as a separate entity?
2.) If not, are there any recipes anyone knows for this?

Googling for microwavable mulled wine has been less than helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
I always thought you made your own mulled wine. I'm not sure if you can buy a bottle of mulled wine you just have to heat up.

Kurdt said:
I always thought you made your own mulled wine. I'm not sure if you can buy a bottle of mulled wine you just have to heat up.

That's what I thought... looking around, most recipes say to put it in a saucepan or something and let it heat for a while and to keep it from boiling... so I'm thinking substitute that with 30 seconds in the microwave. Unless anyone else has a better idea

Try a cup full at first and see if its palatable.

Actually are you taking the mulled wine somewhere that will have a stove? If you are you can just add all the spices and whatever to the wine and heat it up fresh there.

Kurdt said:
Actually are you taking the mulled wine somewhere that will have a stove? If you are you can just add all the spices and whatever to the wine and heat it up fresh there.

I'm taking it somewhere that has a microwave only

Office_Shredder said:
I'm taking it somewhere that has a microwave only

That's your mistake

No, it's the limitations of reality

I googled it and got this recipe, first response. (you need to brush up on your googling skills, I googled "microwaved mulled wine") You can probably substitute ingredients (within reason) and use the microwave directions. Just increase amounts and time by the number of servings you want.

Ingredients
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup brandy
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg

Directions
1Combine all ingredients in a heatproof jug (or in a saucepan).
2You can alter the proportion of orange juice to red wine according to taste.
3Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes (or heat in a saucepan on the stove) until hot but NOT BOILING.
4Stir.
5Pour into wine glasses and serve.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Quick-Mulled-Wine-124503

I'd try this:

1 bottle good red wine (don't bother starting with any crap)
1 orange, sliced (skin on!)
1 stick cinnamon
5 cloves
1 pinch grated nutmeg
A handful of raisins
Half a glass of brandy (optional)

Lovely stuff. Don't heat it much above 75°C otherwise the alcohol will boil off.

I soak the raisins in the brandy, before adding it to the wine. I also {like brewnog} use whole slices of oranges with the peel on. And yes using a microwave is just fine, with 20 to 30 seconds at a time.

ACK, CLOVES! :eek:

I agree some orange slices would make it pretty.

Yes leave the cloves in the jar, instead add i tea spoon of hot chili powder.

wolram said:
Yes leave the cloves in the jar, instead add i tea spoon of hot chili powder.
:uhh:

Wow. I didnt think wine could get so complicated. I don't have much experience with wine anyway. :D Just got over the legal drinking age. Still a newb.

I made mulled cider for Thanksgiving and added rum to it. I will probably try the same recipe with wine at some point:

- a few slices of fresh ginger root
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp whole allspice
- 1/4 grated nutmeg
- lots of whole cloves (like a teaspoon or more - you know it's good if it almost makes your mouth numb :))
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper, for kicks

I love cloves.

No sneaky drinks with your dad down the pub when you were 16?

When I was doing German lessons last year we had Gluhwein because the room we were renting wasn't heated. It was really nice. I think it had a lot of cinnamon in it.

You all inspired me to make some! I used my recipe, but put a few juniper berries in too. The wine I used was home brewed raspberry and blackberry wine I made last autumn.

Think I'll try it with a teaspoon of honey next time. Cloves are essential!

Yes, the cloves are a necessary spice to call it mulled wine. The local winery, which generally makes crappy sweet wines, does bottle a spiced wine that is basically everything you'd put in a mulled wine and you can just heat it and go, but it's not as good as the real thing.

My aunt used to make mulled wine and keep it in a stainless-steel portable steam-table. Just grab the ladle and fill your glass. She used burgundy (IIR), and after she sliced her lemons and oranges, she studded the rinds with whole cloves. There was powdered nutmeg in the mix, too. It was pretty good stuff, though we never had wine much at home when I was a kid and I never got her recipe. It was one of the things I looked forward to on Christmas Eve when we dropped in on the relatives. She used to buy me bottles of wine for Christmas when I was a minor. I rationed them out, and my parents didn't object.

Kurdt said:
No sneaky drinks with your dad down the pub when you were 16?

Well, the sneaky drinks part was there.

Evo said:
I googled it and got this recipe, first response. (you need to brush up on your googling skills, I googled "microwaved mulled wine") You can probably substitute ingredients (within reason) and use the microwave directions. Just increase amounts and time by the number of servings you want.

Ingredients
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup brandy
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg

Directions
1Combine all ingredients in a heatproof jug (or in a saucepan).
2You can alter the proportion of orange juice to red wine according to taste.
3Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes (or heat in a saucepan on the stove) until hot but NOT BOILING.
4Stir.
5Pour into wine glasses and serve.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Quick-Mulled-Wine-124503

I did find that recipe before I posted here, but since it was the only one relating to the topic, I was hesitant to trust it blindly to work out OK. I used it in the end and it was fine though

Yum! I hadn't liked mulled wine until I had lived in a cold climate. No cloves?

fuzzyfelt said:
Yum! I hadn't liked mulled wine until I had lived in a cold climate. No cloves?
Cloves = Satan Satan has cloven hooves. I rest my case.

Here is a hot Wassail for a crowd, this is excellent. It has cloves in it, but 4 cloves for 55 people isn't going to ruin it. You could add brandy or wine to make it alcoholic if you want.

Secret Hot Wassail Recipe

8 Quarts Apple Cider
12 oz Orange Juice
8 oz Pineapple Juice
4 oz real lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 cinnamon Sticks
4 Whole Cloves

Stir together the above ingredients. Simmer in a crockpot, or on the stove top. Makes 55 six ounce cups.

Would the problem be cloves alone? Or cloves in gluhwein? A certain small flat nation got very weatlhy thanks to cloves and pepper some three centuries ago.

Andre said:
Would the problem be cloves alone? Or cloves in gluhwein? A certain small flat nation got very weatlhy some three centuries ago thanks to cloves and pepper.

From Wikipedia:
Flatland, a 2 dimensional hyperbolic nation contained entirely within the unit disk, is the world's second largest exporter of pepper, generating more Euclidean currency than the size of their entire planet.

But they didn't start exporting pepper until the last century :confused:

1. How long does it take to make mulled wine in the microwave?

The exact time can vary depending on the power of your microwave, but typically it takes about 6-8 minutes to make mulled wine in the microwave.

2. Is it safe to make mulled wine in the microwave?

Yes, as long as you follow proper safety precautions and use a microwave-safe container. Make sure to stir the mixture frequently and use caution when removing the hot liquid from the microwave.

3. Can I use any type of wine for making mulled wine in the microwave?

Yes, you can use any type of red wine for making mulled wine in the microwave. Sweet or dry wines both work well, but it's best to avoid using expensive or delicate wines.

4. What spices should I use for making mulled wine in the microwave?

The most commonly used spices for mulled wine are cinnamon, cloves, and star anise. You can also add in other spices like ginger, nutmeg, or allspice to customize the flavor to your liking.

5. Can I make mulled wine in the microwave ahead of time?

Yes, you can make mulled wine in the microwave ahead of time. Simply heat it up in the microwave before serving. Just be sure to store it in the fridge and consume within a few days.