Multiloop Circuit Total Resistance

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the total resistance between points F and G in a multiloop circuit with 5 ohm resistors. The speaker initially attempts to solve the problem using a 15V battery and calculates incorrect values for current and total resistance. Another speaker offers a solution by combining resistors in series and parallel. The conversation also mentions Kirchhoff's law and the possibility of an additional resistor at point G.
stufaro
Hey guys, I have a quick multiloop circuit question:

You're given this circuit with each of the resistors being 5 ohms and are asked to find the total resistance between points F and G.

o5q1pi.jpg

I imagined a 15V battery between those two points so I could get currents.

- Through the top loop from F to G I get 1A.
- Through the middle resistor and down through the bottom right resistor again I get 1.5A.
- Through the bottom left resistor I get 2A.

I (wrongly) conclude that the total current is 5.5A, then 15/5.5 = 2.72... -- not the right answer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Much obliged,
Steve.

Physics news on Phys.org
And by 2A for the bottom resistor I mean 3A. Sorry for the double post.

Thanks again.
- Steve.

To help describe I am going to name your resistors beginning at F, R1 R2 R3 R4 moving clockwise. R5 is in the center. Combine R1 and R2 in series to act as one resistor in parallel with R5. Then consider R1,R2,R5 as one resistor in series with R3. Finally R4 in parallel with the value you calculated as equivalent to the other 4 resistors.

Thanks, I was getting a little Kirchhoffed out there I think. But problem solved!

Much appreciated!

Oh yeah, Jerkhoffs law; I have forgotten it completely ;)

hey,
how to find the equivalent resistance if there would have been one more resistance like R5 from the point G .

1. What is a multiloop circuit?

A multiloop circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of multiple loops or paths for the current to flow through. This is in contrast to a single loop circuit, where there is only one path for the current to follow.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a multiloop circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a multiloop circuit, you need to first determine the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. Then, you can use the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn to find the total resistance, where R1, R2, ... , Rn are the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. What factors affect the total resistance in a multiloop circuit?

The total resistance in a multiloop circuit can be affected by several factors, including the individual resistances of each component, the number of loops in the circuit, and the arrangement of the components (series or parallel).

4. How does the total resistance in a multiloop circuit impact the flow of current?

The total resistance in a multiloop circuit determines how much current can flow through the circuit. A higher total resistance will result in a lower current flow, while a lower total resistance will allow for a higher current flow.

5. Can you have a multiloop circuit with only one power source?

Yes, it is possible to have a multiloop circuit with only one power source. This is because the power source can provide the necessary voltage for the current to flow through the multiple loops in the circuit.