1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Integral Challenge Question, I just need a hint

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I will just post an image of the problem

JB6FEog.png

and here's the link if the above is too small: http://i.imgur.com/JB6FEog.png?1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been playing with it, but I can't figure out a good way to "grip" this problem.

I can see some things. I can see that the scalar triple product is the volume of the parallelopiped made from the three vector a, b and c. I can see that the [itex]\frac{(\alpha \beta \gamma)^2}{8}[/itex] is analogous to [itex]\int \int \int_E xyz dV = \frac{(xyz)^2}{8}[/itex] if x,y and z were the upper limits and the lower limits were all 0.

So I've thought that maybe there's a change of variable occuring, and the absolute value of the scalar triple product in the denominator comes from the Jacobian...should I keep heading in that direction? I can't think of a Transform that would be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The right-hand-side divides by zero unless the three vectors ##\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \vec{c}## are linearly independent, and when that is the case (that is, when you have linear independence) you can change variables to ## u = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r}, \:v = \vec{b} \cdot \vec{r}, \:w = \vec{c} \cdot \vec{r}##.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. May 18, 2015 #3
    As a side question, is linearly independent the same as not being coplanar, or is not being coplanar one consequence of linear independence?

5. May 18, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Any three vectors that are coplanar are linearly dependent, but you can have two vectors in the same plane being linearly independent, as long as one of them isn't a scalar multiple of the other, so the concepts aren't the same.

6. May 18, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to add to that, for the benefit of the OP, if the three vectors are 3 dimensional then whether or not they are coplanar is equivalent to whether or not they are linearly dependent.

7. May 18, 2015 #6
    I need a bit of further help.

Should I be trying to get the Jacobian thusly

[tex] u = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r} = a_1x + a_2y + a_3z[/tex]

[tex] v = \vec{b} \cdot \vec{r} = b_1x + b_2y + b_3z[/tex]

[tex] w = \vec{c} \cdot \vec{r} = c_1x + c_2y + c_3z[/tex]

then find

[tex] \left| \frac{\partial(x,y,z)}{\partial(u,v,w)} \right| [/tex]

Or is there some way that doesn't involve converting the dot product into a function of x,y,z?

Also, doing it this way, I should get [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{a_1}, \ \frac{\partial y}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{a_2}, \frac{\partial x}{\partial w} = \frac{1}{a_3} ... \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} = \frac{1}{b_1} ... \frac{\partial z}{\partial u} = \frac{1}{c_1} [/itex], yes?

8. May 18, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the standard textbook formulas for change-of-variables in multiple integration. If you do not have a textbook, look on-line. (I, personally do not feel I can offer more help, without essentially doing the problem for you.)

9. May 18, 2015 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't get that. You might find it easier to compute ## \left| \frac{\partial(u,v,w)}{\partial(x,y,z)} \right| ##. What's that and what might that have to do with the problem?

10. May 18, 2015 #9
    I'm going to say it's the multiplicative inverse of the Jacobian that I need to find.

11. May 18, 2015 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is that. Now what is it, and what might it have to do with the triple product?

12. May 19, 2015 #11
    It's the reciprocal of the scalar triple product. Thanks for your help.

Thank you everybody for your help! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted