Triple Integral Limits Setup Cartesian

In summary, Vol = \int\int\int_{V}dV. TheAttempt at a Solution: I really don't know how to begin this problem because I have trouble visualizing what all those intersection of planes will look like. Usually if it's 2 surfaces, I can see it no problem. Do you guys have some systematic way to find the limits for volumes using triple integrals? My prof isn't the best since we didn't even get to line integrals and etc for our Multivariable Calc class...Find the points where three planes intersect. What shape do you get? Imagine that you cut this shape parallel with the (x,y) plane at
paul2211

Homework Statement

Find volume bounded by: [itex] x - z = 0; x + z = 3; y + z = 1; z = y + 1; z = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Vol = [itex]\int\int\int_{V}dV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to begin this problem because I have trouble visualizing what all those intersection of planes will look like. Usually if it's 2 surfaces, I can see it no problem.

Do you guys have some systematic way to find the limits for volumes using triple integrals? My prof isn't the best since we didn't even get to line integrals and etc for our Multivariable Calc class...

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the points where three planes intersect. What shape do you get?
Imagine that you cut this shape parallel with the (x,y) plane at different heights z=h. How the cross-sections look like?
I attach a figure that might help to imagine the shape. ehild

Attachments

• shape.JPG
    shape.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
The first thing you should do is draw a graph. Because it is difficult to draw in three dimensions, I prefer to draw xy, xz, and yz graphs. Here, none of the equations involve both x and y so you really only need xz and yz graphs.

x- z= 0 is the z= x line, of course, and x+ z= 3 is the line z= 3- x that has x intercept (0, 3) and z intercept (3, 0). Draw those two lines on the xz-graph.

y+ z= 1 is the line z= 1- y with y intercept (1, 0) and z intercept (0, 1). z= y+ 1 has y intercept (-1, 0) and z intercept (0, 1). Draw those two lines.

Now, imagine turning the yz graph so its z axis corresponds to the z axis on the xz graph. That will give you some idea of what the figure looks like. Now, looking at that, there is nothing bounding the region between z= 1- y and z= y+ 1 in the y-direction. Adding the "z= 0" condition we do have a bounded region below the z= 1- y plane but then the z= y+ 1 plane plays no part. The only bounded region I see here lies within the triangle bounded by z= x, z= 3- x, and z= 0 below the plane z= y+ 1.

I see that, for that region, x lies between 0 and 1. For each x, z lies below the two lines x- z= 0 and x+ z= 3. I think, then that we will need to break this into two integrals, the first for x= 0 to the x-coordinate of the point of intersection, the second for x= that value to 3.

To find the integration limits, it is useful to plot contours of equal height (equal z) together with the projections onto the (x,z) and (yz) planes, HallsofIvy suggested.

x - z = 0; x + z = 3; y + z = 1; z = y + 1; z = 0.

For a given z=a>0, the equations yield the following contour lines:

x=a, x=3-a, y=1-a, y=-(1-a).

See attached picture. It shows the contours of equal z on the (x,y ) plane, together with the projections of the shape onto the (x,z) and (y,z) planes. The shape is like a roof, as shown in my previous post.
It is easy to find out the integration limits from the plots now:

0<x<3, -(1-z)<y<1-z

The y-z lines intersect at the point y=0, z=1, so the volume is between z=0 and z=1.

0<z<1.

ehild

Attachments

• contours.JPG
    contours.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a single and double integral in calculus, used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional shape, where the limits of integration are represented by three sets of numbers.

2. What are the limits in a triple integral setup?

The limits in a triple integral setup represent the boundaries of the three-dimensional region over which the function is being integrated. They are typically represented by three sets of numbers, one for each dimension of the shape.

3. How do you set up a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates, you first need to identify the three boundaries of the region in the x, y, and z directions. Then, you choose the order in which you will integrate the function with respect to each variable, and set the corresponding limits for each variable.

4. What is the difference between a double and triple integral?

A double integral is used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional region, while a triple integral is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region. In a double integral, the limits are represented by two sets of numbers, while in a triple integral there are three sets of numbers for the three dimensions.

5. What is the purpose of setting up limits in a triple integral?

The limits in a triple integral determine the boundaries of the region over which the function is being integrated. This allows us to break down the volume of a complex three-dimensional shape into smaller, more manageable parts that can be integrated individually to find the total volume.