Jacobian Transformation - new domain of integration

In summary: Finally, solve for s and t using the limits you found.In summary, the author attempted to find the new domain of integration for the function f(x,y) by sketching the region, finding curves of constant s and t, and solving for s and t.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

I need to compute the following using the Jacobian:

[itex]\int\int_D \frac{x-y}{x+y} dxdy[/itex]

Where [itex] D = \left\{(x,y):x\geq 0, y\geq 0, x+y \leq 1\right\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made the transformation:

[itex] s=x+y \qquad t = x-y [/itex]

My problem is finding the new domain of integration. I can see that [itex]0\leq s \leq 1[/itex].

Yet for t, my book says it should be [itex]-s\leq t \leq s[/itex], but I cannot see why this should be.

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]r = x e_1 + y e_2[/itex] and [itex]r' = s e_1 + t e_2[/itex] with [itex]f(r) = r'[/itex] and the coordinates s,t as you defined them.

Now, let the boundary of the domain of integration be [itex]c(\tau)[/itex] for some scalar variable tau. There's more than one way to do this, but you can choose

[tex]c(\tau) = \begin{cases}
\tau e_1 & (0 < \tau \leq 1) \\
e_1 + (e_2 - e_1)(\tau - 1) & (1 < \tau \leq 2) \\
e_2 + (-e_2)(\tau - 2) & (2 < \tau \leq 3)
\end{cases}[/tex]

Now, the Jacobian is a linear operator on a vector:
[tex]\underline f(e_1) = e_1 + e_2 \\
\underline f(e_2) = e_1 - e_2[/tex]

The boundary of the domain of integration goes as [itex]c(\tau) \to c'(\tau) = \underline f[c(\tau)][/itex]. The result of applying the Jacobian operator to c above is

[tex]c'(\tau) = \begin{cases}
(e_1 + e_2)\tau & (0 < \tau \leq 1) \\
(e_1+e_2) - 2 e_2 (\tau - 1) & (1 < \tau \leq 2) \\
(e_1 - e_2) + (e_2 - e_1)(\tau - 2) & (2 < \tau \leq 3)
\end{cases}[/tex]

Drawn up, this is a diagonal from the origin to (s,t) = (1,1), down to (1,-1), and then back to the origin. That's why they say [itex]s \geq t \geq -s[/itex].

omg, TLDR Muphrid!

IniquiTrance said:
...Where [itex] D = \left\{(x,y):x\geq 0, y\geq 0, x+y \leq 1\right\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

My problem is finding the new domain of integration. I can see that [itex]0\leq s \leq 1[/itex].

Yet for t, my book says it should be [itex]-s\leq t \leq s[/itex], but I cannot see why this should be.

First, find where the boundaries are mapped to, you have [itex]x=0[/itex], [itex]y=0[/itex] and [itex]x+y=1[/itex]. These are mapped to [itex]x=(s+t)/2=0[/itex], [itex]y=(s-t)/2=0[/itex], and [itex]x+y=s=1[/itex]. Draw these lines as the boundary in the new [itex]s,t[/itex]-space. (Two diagonals through the origin and the vertical line [itex]s=1[/itex].) If you want to do [itex]∫∫f\ dtds[/itex], then for each [itex]s[/itex] value in [itex][0,1][/itex] (the projection of the region), [itex]t[/itex] should go from the lower diagonal to the upper diagonal, that is, from [itex]t=-s[/itex] to [itex]t=s[/itex].

IniquiTrance said:

Homework Statement

I need to compute the following using the Jacobian:

[itex]\int\int_D \frac{x-y}{x+y} dxdy[/itex]

Where [itex] D = \left\{(x,y):x\geq 0, y\geq 0, x+y \leq 1\right\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

First, you should sketch the region in the xy-plane. Next, draw in what curves of constant s and constant t look like on the xy-plane. For example, s=0 corresponds to the line x+y=0; that is, the t-axis is the line y=-x. Just from the sketch, it should be pretty clear what the limits are.

1. What is a Jacobian Transformation?

A Jacobian Transformation is a mathematical method used to change the variables of an integral from one domain to another. It is used to simplify the integration process in higher dimensions, such as in multivariable calculus.

2. Why is a Jacobian Transformation necessary?

A Jacobian Transformation is necessary because it allows for the integration of functions in non-Cartesian coordinate systems, such as polar or spherical coordinates. It also simplifies the integration process for functions with complex variable relationships.

3. How does a Jacobian Transformation work?

A Jacobian Transformation involves using the Jacobian matrix, which is a matrix of partial derivatives, to convert the original integrand into an equivalent function with new variables. This new function can then be integrated using traditional methods.

4. What are the applications of Jacobian Transformation?

Jacobian Transformation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve higher dimensional calculations. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving multiple variables, such as finding volumes or calculating probabilities in non-Cartesian coordinate systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Jacobian Transformation?

Like any mathematical tool, Jacobian Transformation has its limitations. It may not always be possible to find an equivalent function with new variables, making the integration process more complex. Additionally, it may produce inaccurate results if not used correctly or if the original function is too complex.