Multiplication bloards after factorization

In summary: In your case, I think the problem is that you are trying to solve ##Ax = b## numerically, which is not really feasible.Factorization is correct but the multiplication of the factorized form of A with B bloats because you are trying to solve the wrong equation.
yiorgos
Let a positive definite matrix A be factorized to P and Q, A=P*Q and let an arbitrary matrix B.
I am calculating the relative error of the factorization through the norm:

[itex]\epsilon = \left\| \textbf{A}-\textbf{PQ} \right\| / \left\| \textbf{A} \right\|[/itex]

which gives

[itex]\epsilon <1\text{e}-16[/itex]

so I assume factorization is correct.

But things go messy when I try to multiply the factorized form of A with B.
In particular, the relative error, r, of the product

[itex]r = \left\| \textbf{AB}-\textbf{PQB} \right\| / \left\| \textbf{AB} \right\|[/itex]

now bloats, i.e. I get
[itex]r>0.1.[/itex]

Note that B is arbitrary, in particular I have tried several different types: random, structured, all-ones matrix, even the identity matrix.
I'm confused. How come factorization is correct and then the multiplication bloats?
Has anything to do with condition number?

(Unfortunately I can't disclose the type of factorization but I can tell that P and Q are not triangular)

Physics news on Phys.org
Modification: I mistakenly added also "identity matrix" to previous post. Please ignore this from the list of matrices I have tried.

It's hard to know exactly what you are doing since you won't tell us all the facts, but I think the basic issue is the difference between "forward" and "backward" error analysis.

If you are trying to solve ##Ax = b## numerically, you can estimate the error two different ways.

Forward error analysis: try to estimate the error in ##x##, i.e assume the exact solution is ##A(x + e) = b ## and find an estimate for the vector ##e##.
Backward error analysis: consider you have the exact solution to the "wrong" equation, i.e. estimate the size of a matrix ##e## such that ##(A+e)x = b##.

Backward error analysis (first proposed by Wilkinson in the 1960s) is generally more useful than the more "obvious" forward analysis.

1. What is factorization and how does it relate to multiplication bloards?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number into smaller factors. In multiplication bloards, factorization is used to find the common factors between two or more numbers, which can help simplify multiplication problems.

2. Why is it important to use multiplication bloards after factorization?

Multiplication bloards help to organize and simplify the process of multiplying multiple numbers. By using factorization to find common factors, multiplication bloards can make the overall calculation easier and more efficient.

3. Can multiplication bloards be used for any type of multiplication problem?

Yes, multiplication bloards can be used for any type of multiplication problem, including multiplying whole numbers, decimals, fractions, and even algebraic expressions. The process remains the same, but the numbers or variables used may change.

4. How do I create a multiplication bloard after factorization?

To create a multiplication bloard, start by writing the numbers being multiplied across the top and the side of a grid. Then, use factorization to find the common factors between each number and write them in the corresponding rows and columns. Finally, multiply the remaining numbers in each row and column to fill in the rest of the grid.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for using multiplication bloards after factorization?

One helpful tip is to start by finding the largest common factor between the numbers being multiplied and using that as the first row and column of the bloard. This can help simplify the numbers and make the overall calculation easier. Additionally, practicing regularly and memorizing common factors can also make using multiplication bloards more efficient.