1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplication of Laurent Series

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the expression of the Laurent series for [tex]f(z) = \frac{z}{{(2z - 1)(\frac{2}{z} - 1)}}[/tex] so that [tex]\sum\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {{a_n}} \[/tex] converges.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I find that z = 1/2 and z = 2 (and infinite) are poles of the function f. Then, I can rewrite [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{{(2z - 1)(2 - z)}}[/tex] since it doesn't change anything in terms of poles (is this right?). After that, I calculate the first Laurent series for [tex]\frac{1}{{(2z - 1)}}[/tex] and for [tex]\frac{1}{{(2 - z)}}[/tex] (the one for |z| < 1/2) and I find that [tex]f(z) = - \frac{1}{2}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {{2^n}{z^n}} \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{{2^n}}}} [/tex]. Using the Cauchy product rule, I find that an has an expression for even powers and another for odd powers. Therefore, it diverges (right?)

I look for the second Laurent series (1/2 < |z| < 2). The expression of [tex]\frac{1}{{(2 - z)}}[/tex] is the same, but I have to change the other one. I find that [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{{4z}}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{2^n}{z^n}}}} \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{{2^n}}}} [/tex].

Now, one of the series is all of negative powers and the other one of positive powers. Even more, they have the same powers in ||. My question is, can I just simplify the powers of z and the powers of 2? Or can I use the Cauchy product rule?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Up...

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    Does anybody have any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook