1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplier circuit - analytical expression

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    I have been assigned a task that I have found to be very difficult - to try and develop an alaytical (mathematical) expression for the output voltage with respect to time of the cockroft-walton voltage doubler shown below (so that I can plot the transient response), when the input voltage is a sinusoidal source. I was wondering if anybody would know how this could be done, or if such a expression has already been developed. The problem is that the diodes continually switch and charge the caps, but I cannot assume that the caps (C1) would charge to the peak input voltage in one cycle.

[​IMG]

Similarly with the rectifier circuit below (assume the resistor is replaced by a capacitor), how would I develop a mathematical expression for the output voltage if you cannot assume that the cap voltage reaches the peak input voltage in one cycle? Would I somehow have to find the points at which the diode switches, and continually calculate the voltage on the cap as it gains voltage over several cycles of the input voltage? I appreciate any help.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2
    it's not as if there is a pretty equation. the devices are non-linear, and so simulators like SPICE solve them numerically, which takes considerably more time to solve than linear circuits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?