Multiplier circuit - analytical expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of developing a mathematical expression for the output voltage of a cockroft-walton voltage doubler and a rectifier circuit when the input voltage is a sinusoidal source. The problem is that the diodes continually switch and charge the capacitors, making it difficult to assume that the capacitors will charge to the peak input voltage in one cycle. The conversation also mentions the use of simulators like SPICE to solve non-linear circuits numerically, which takes more time than linear circuits.
nicrip
I have been assigned a task that I have found to be very difficult - to try and develop an alaytical (mathematical) expression for the output voltage with respect to time of the cockroft-walton voltage doubler shown below (so that I can plot the transient response), when the input voltage is a sinusoidal source. I was wondering if anybody would know how this could be done, or if such a expression has already been developed. The problem is that the diodes continually switch and charge the caps, but I cannot assume that the caps (C1) would charge to the peak input voltage in one cycle.

rectifier_doubler_expandable.gif

Similarly with the rectifier circuit below (assume the resistor is replaced by a capacitor), how would I develop a mathematical expression for the output voltage if you cannot assume that the cap voltage reaches the peak input voltage in one cycle? Would I somehow have to find the points at which the diode switches, and continually calculate the voltage on the cap as it gains voltage over several cycles of the input voltage? I appreciate any help.

500px-Halfwave.rectifier.en.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
it's not as if there is a pretty equation. the devices are non-linear, and so simulators like SPICE solve them numerically, which takes considerably more time to solve than linear circuits.

I understand the difficulty of developing an analytical expression for a complex circuit like the cockroft-walton voltage doubler. However, it is not impossible and has been done before. The key to developing such an expression is to consider the behavior of the circuit in each stage and then combine them to obtain the overall output voltage.

In the case of a sinusoidal input voltage, the first step would be to analyze the behavior of the diodes and capacitors in response to the changing input voltage. This can be done by applying Kirchhoff's laws and using the diode and capacitor equations. From this analysis, you can obtain the voltage across each capacitor at any given time.

Next, you would need to consider the behavior of the diodes as they switch on and off. This can be done by using the diode's characteristic equation and determining the switching points. By combining this with the voltage across each capacitor, you can obtain the overall output voltage expression as a function of time.

Similarly, for the rectifier circuit, you would need to consider the behavior of the diode and capacitor in response to the input voltage. Again, using Kirchhoff's laws and the diode and capacitor equations, you can determine the voltage across the capacitor at any given time.

I understand that this may seem like a daunting task, but with a systematic approach and proper analysis, an analytical expression for the output voltage can be obtained. It is also important to note that these expressions may be approximations and may need to be verified through simulations or experiments. I suggest consulting with a colleague or conducting further research to find similar circuits and their corresponding analytical expressions as a reference. I wish you the best of luck in your task.

1. What is a multiplier circuit?

A multiplier circuit is an electronic circuit that performs the mathematical operation of multiplication. It takes two input signals and produces an output signal that is the product of the two inputs.

2. What is the analytical expression for a multiplier circuit?

The analytical expression for a multiplier circuit is Vout = Vin1 * Vin2, where Vout is the output voltage and Vin1 and Vin2 are the input voltages.

3. How does a multiplier circuit work?

A multiplier circuit works by using electronic components such as diodes, transistors, and resistors to perform the mathematical operation of multiplication on two input signals. The input signals are amplified and then multiplied together to produce the output signal.

4. What are the applications of a multiplier circuit?

Multiplier circuits have a variety of applications in electronics and electrical engineering. They are commonly used in analog signal processing, audio and video equipment, and communication systems. They can also be used in mathematical operations such as digital signal processing and computer arithmetic.

5. What are the advantages of using a multiplier circuit?

Some advantages of using a multiplier circuit include high accuracy and speed, low power consumption, and compact size. They are also cost-effective and can be easily integrated into larger electronic systems. Additionally, multiplier circuits have a wide range of uses and can be tailored to specific applications.