Multiplying a postivie number by a absolute expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of multiplying a constant with an absolute expression. It is determined that one can only bring in positive numbers, as seen in the examples given.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

If I have a expression like 5lx+2l, can I multiply the 5 with x+2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that I can only do this if the number in front of the absolute expression is a positive number. Because if -5lx+2l=-10 then multiplying the -5 does not make sense as it would have to be + for all values of the whole expression. So I'm pretty confused about this. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly |x+2| is a positive number, as you pointed out.
Yes, you can bringing the 5 into the expression without any loss of generality, because it is clear that the positive constant affects all terms equally.
To be rigorous, let us look at the definition of modulus:
[tex]|x+2| = \{\begin{array} ((x+2) \text{ if (x+2) ≥ 0} \\ -(x+2) \text{ if (x+2) ≤ 0} \end{array} [/tex]
[tex]|kx+2k| = \{\begin{array} ((kx+2k) \text{ if (kx+2k) ≥ 0} \\ -(kx+2k) \text{ if (kx+2k) ≤ 0} \end{array} = \{\begin{array} (k(x+2) \text{ if (x+2) ≥ 0} \\ -k(x+2) \text{ if (x+2) ≤ 0} \end{array} = k |x+2|[/tex]
for all k≥0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fightfish said:
Clearly |x+2| is a positive number, as you pointed out.
Or zero.

sgstudent said:

Homework Statement

If I have a expression like 5lx+2l, can I multiply the 5 with x+2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that I can only do this if the number in front of the absolute expression is a positive number. Because if -5lx+2l=-10 then multiplying the -5 does not make sense as it would have to be + for all values of the whole expression. So I'm pretty confused about this. Thanks for the help!

[tex] a|b| =\left\{ \begin{array}{rl} |a b| &\text{if } a \geq 0\\
- |ab| & \text{if } a < 0.
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]
Note that [itex] |a b| = |(-a) b|. [/itex]

RGV

Oh so if I have a this: -5lx+2l=-10, then I can only bring in positive numbers? So -l5x+10l=-10? Thanks for the help guys!

sgstudent said:
Oh so if I have a this: -5lx+2l=-10, then I can only bring in positive numbers? So -l5x+10l=-10? Thanks for the help guys!

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Multiplying a postivie number by a absolute expression

1. What does it mean to multiply a positive number by an absolute expression?

When you multiply a positive number by an absolute expression, you are essentially multiplying the positive number by the absolute value of the expression. This means that any negative numbers within the expression will be converted to positive numbers before being multiplied.

2. What is the difference between multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression and a regular expression?

The main difference is that when multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression, all negative numbers within the expression are converted to positive numbers before the multiplication takes place. In a regular expression, negative numbers are not converted and the multiplication is done as normal.

3. Can an absolute expression be negative?

Yes, an absolute expression can be negative. However, when multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression, the negative sign will be ignored and the absolute value will be used in the calculation.

4. How does multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression affect the result?

Multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression will always result in a positive number. This is because any negative numbers within the expression are converted to positive numbers before the multiplication takes place.

5. What is the purpose of multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression?

Multiplying a positive number by an absolute expression can help simplify calculations and avoid negative numbers. It can also be useful in certain mathematical equations and can help ensure a positive result.