Multiplying matrices with unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the dimensions and columns of a 3x3 matrix A based on given information and using basic linear equations to solve for the unknowns.
polaris90
|1 | |4| |0 | |5| |1| |6 |
A|-1 |= |5| ' A |-1|= |3| and A |1|= |8 |
|0 | |0| | 1| |5| |1| |11|

The first question is, determine the dimensions of A. So I can tell it is a 3x3
Then I'm asked to determine the columns of A, I'm not sure about how to to do this.
My attempt was to make A as |a(11) a(12) a(13)|
|a(21) a(22) a(23)|
|a(31) a(32) a(33)|

and multiply it by the first column and set it equal to what's given. The problem is that I will end up with too many unknowns. Can somebody give me a hint, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi polaris90! :smile:
polaris90 said:
Code:
 |1  |   |4|       |0 |   |5|            |1|   |6 |
 A|-1 |= |5| '   A |-1|= |3|     and   A |1|= |8 |
 |0  |   |0|       | 1|   |5|            |1|   |11|

hint: what is A(0,1,0) ? :wink:

I'm stuck with this one. I tried multiplying the 3x3 matrix times the matrix given. So fo the first one I got.

|x1 x2 x2| |1| = |-4|
|y1 y2 y3| |-1|= |5|
|z1 z2 z3| |0| = |0|

x1 - x2 = 4
y1 -y2 = 5
z1 - z2 = 0 ==> z1 = z2

I'm not sure what to do after this. I cannot add them up because they have different letter.

The first matrix that you have written is correct. How about you multiply by the 3x3 matrix that is formed by putting the column vectors on the left side of the equal sign. Then it becomes a straight forward solving linear equations.

further hint:

what is A(1,0,0) for any 3x3 matrix A?

and A(0,1,0) ?

and A(0,0,1) ?

now try to make (0,1,0) out of the three vectors given in the question :wink:

What is the general rule for multiplying matrices with unknowns?

The general rule for multiplying matrices with unknowns is to follow the same steps as multiplying regular matrices, but instead of multiplying numbers, we multiply the unknown variables. We then combine like terms to simplify the final product.

Can we multiply matrices with different numbers of unknowns?

Yes, we can multiply matrices with different numbers of unknowns. However, the resulting product will have the same number of unknowns as the larger of the two matrices being multiplied.

How do we know when two matrices with unknowns can be multiplied?

Two matrices with unknowns can be multiplied if the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. This ensures that the dimensions of the matrices are compatible for multiplication.

What happens when we multiply a matrix with an unknown by a scalar?

Multiplying a matrix with an unknown by a scalar will result in each element of the matrix being multiplied by the scalar. The unknown variable will remain in the product, unless it is being multiplied by a scalar of 0, in which case the product will be 0.

Are there any special rules for multiplying matrices with unknowns?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when multiplying matrices with unknowns. One is that the order of multiplication matters, and it is not commutative. Another is that when multiplying a matrix by its inverse, the product will always result in the identity matrix.