Multiplying or dividing an equation with variables

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, when performing reversible operations on an equation, the solution set may not change, but it may expand to include additional solutions. However, when performing non-reversible operations, such as multiplying by a variable that could be zero, the solution set can change and may no longer reflect the original goal of the equation. It is important to distinguish between reversible and non-reversible operations and consider their impact on the solution set and the original goal of the equation.
Mr Davis 97
I need to get something cleared up. Let's say we have the equation ##x = 1##. For this equation, the solution set is {1}. However, if I do the valid operation of multiplying both sides by x, we get ##x^2 = x##. Now the solution set is {0, 1}. Additionally, if I take the original equation and divide by x, I get ##\displaystyle 1 = \frac{1}{x}##. The solution set is still {1}, but now the domain of x values has changed, such that I can no longer try x = 0. My question is, how can we ever be sure of the solution set or the domain if they can change with doing operations with variables to both sides? An additional example is that we start with ##x^2 = x##. We think to divide both sides by x, since there is a common factor. However, doesn't this get rid of the solution x = 0? How would we ever know that ##x^2 = x## was our original equation, with the solution set {0, 1}?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's easy. You simply have to distinguish the cases. You aren't allowed to divide by 0 even if you hide it by saying x. And if you hide 0 in x and multiply, then your equation gets trivial. You have to assure that your operation is allowed! Same goes for < operations when multiplying with negative numbers. If you hide them in x, you have to calculate two cases: x > 0 and x < 0. Anything else is just wrong.

If the operation that you carry out on the equation is reversible then the solution set will not change. For instance, you could add x to both sides of the equation. This is reversible because you can subtract x and recover the original equation. But if you multiply by x, you cannot always divide by x -- because x could be zero. That manipulation is not reversible.

If you perform the same manipulation (reversible or not) to both sides of an equation, the new equation will hold true whenever the old one would have held true. That means that all solutions to the original equation will also solve the modified equation. That, in turn means that the old solution set will be a subset of the new solution set. It may or may not be a proper subset.

If the manipulation is reversible then applying the reverse manipulation to the new equation will demonstrate that the solution set to the new equation is a subset of the solution set to the original equation. If the two solution sets are subsets of each other then those sets are equal. QED.

Likes Kajan thana
Mr Davis 97 said:
I need to get something cleared up. Let's say we have the equation ##x = 1##. For this equation, the solution set is {1}. However, if I do the valid operation of multiplying both sides by x, we get ##x^2 = x##. Now the solution set is {0, 1}. Additionally, if I take the original equation and divide by x, I get ##\displaystyle 1 = \frac{1}{x}##. The solution set is still {0}
No, the solution set is still {1}. The solution set did not include 0 when you started, and it still doesn't.
Mr Davis 97 said:
, but now the domain of x values has changed, such that I can no longer try x = 0. My question is, how can we ever be sure of the solution set or the domain if they can change with doing operations with variables to both sides? An additional example is that we start with ##x^2 = x##. We think to divide both sides by x, since there is a common factor. However, doesn't this get rid of the solution x = 0? How would we ever know that ##x^2 = x## was our original equation, with the solution set {0, 1}?

jbriggs444 said:
If the operation that you carry out on the equation is reversible then the solution set will not change. For instance, you could add x to both sides of the equation. This is reversible because you can subtract x and recover the original equation. But if you multiply by x, you cannot always divide by x -- because x could be zero. That manipulation is not reversible.

If you perform the same manipulation (reversible or not) to both sides of an equation, the new equation will hold true whenever the old one would have held true. That means that all solutions to the original equation will also solve the modified equation. That, in turn means that the old solution set will be a subset of the new solution set. It may or may not be a proper subset.

If the manipulation is reversible then applying the reverse manipulation to the new equation will demonstrate that the solution set to the new equation is a subset of the solution set to the original equation. If the two solution sets are subsets of each other then those sets are equal. QED.

That helps.

So imagine I have x = 2t - 1, which we will say models the linear displacement of a ball. At t = 0, the ball is at x = -1.
Now imagine that I want to find when displacement is 0, so I use 2t - 1 = 0. If I were to go from here, I would simply get t = 0.5. However, if I multiply both sides by t, I get 2t2 - t = 0, in which case we have two solutions, 0 and 0.5.
So what's going on here? Multiplying by t was a valid operation, and I end up with two solutions. In fact, now t = 0 does not agree with the original function, yet the operation was algebraically valid. What I am getting at is that doing a reversible operation seems to change the solutions and the function in arbitrary ways that don't reflect the original goal of finding when x = 0. It's all confusing me...

Mr Davis 97 said:
Multiplying by t was a valid operation, and I end up with two solutions
No, it's not valid since you can't reverse it. You hided a possible 0 in t. Therefore you changed the set of solutions. Graphically you turned your straight into a parabola which happens to intersect at your original solution at t = ½.

Mr Davis 97 said:
However, if I multiply both sides by t, I get 2t2 - t = 0, in which case we have two solutions, 0 and 0.5.
When you multiply both sides of an equation by a variable, there is the potential of increasing the size of the solution set.

Consider x - 1 = 0, with {1} as the solution set.
Now multiply both sides by x -3, getting (x - 1)(x - 3) = 0. The solution set is now {1, 3}.

When you multiply both sides of an equation by a nonzero constant, that's a reversible action, so there's no change in the solution set.

Mark44 said:
When you multiply both sides of an equation by a variable, there is the potential of increasing the size of the solution set.

Consider x - 1 = 0, with {1} as the solution set.
Now multiply both sides by x -3, getting (x - 1)(x - 3) = 0. The solution set is now {1, 3}.

When you multiply both sides of an equation by a nonzero constant, that's a reversible action, so there's no change in the solution set.
So basically, by multiplying both sides by x, you are doing an irreversible operation since x could potentially be zero? So in the end, for the second equation, would we just look back at the original equation and consider 3 an extraneous solution?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So in the end, for the second equation, would we just look back at the original equation and consider 3 an extraneous solution?
No, because again you multiplied with 0. This time disguised as a 3 in (x - 3).
You may multiply with x-3 if and only if x - 3 ≠ 0. Otherwise you change the task and the solution set.

Mr Davis 97 said:
So basically, by multiplying both sides by x, you are doing an irreversible operation since x could potentially be zero?
Yes.
Mr Davis 97 said:
So in the end, for the second equation, would we just look back at the original equation and consider 3 an extraneous solution?
I guess, although I'm not sure that you would want to dignify it in this way.

Extraneous solutions often come up in the context of equations with radicals, where they can creep in in ways that aren't obvious. Here's an example:
##\sqrt{x + 4} = x - 2##
If you square both sides (which is NOT a reversible operation), you get
##x + 4 = x^2 - 4x + 4##
##\Rightarrow x^2 - 5x = 0##
##\Rightarrow x(x - 5) = 0##
##\Rightarrow x = 5 \text{or} x = 0##
By substitution in the original equation, we see that x = 0 is extraneous, leaving only x = 5 as the solution of the original equation.

Mark44 said:
Yes.

I guess, although I'm not sure that you would want to dignify it in this way.

Extraneous solutions often come up in the context of equations with radicals, where they can creep in in ways that aren't obvious. Here's an example:
##\sqrt{x + 4} = x - 2##
If you square both sides (which is NOT a reversible operation), you get
##x + 4 = x^2 - 4x + 4##
##\Rightarrow x^2 - 5x = 0##
##\Rightarrow x(x - 5) = 0##
##\Rightarrow x = 5 \text{or} x = 0##
By substitution in the original equation, we see that x = 0 is extraneous, leaving only x = 5 as the solution of the original equation.
So what about when we divide an equation like ##2x^2 = x## by ##x##? Is that a reversible or irreversible operation? By doing that we eliminate 0 as a potential solution it seems...

Mr Davis 97 said:
So what about when we divide an equation like ##2x^2 = x## by ##x##? Is that a reversible or irreversible operation? By doing that we eliminate 0 as a potential solution it seems...
You pretty much never want to divide both sides of an equation by a variable, for exactly this reason - you lose the solution x = 0. Of course, if x = 0 is still a solution of the reduced equation, then you haven't lost it.
For example, if you divide both sides of ##2x^3 = x^2## by x, you are left with ##2x^2 = x##, which has x = 0 and x = 1/2 as solutions. I wouldn't actually do this, though -- I'm just giving a cooked-up example.

With regard to your earlier question about multiplying both sides of an equation by a variable, the only place I can think of where this is appropriate is in converting polar-form equations to rectangular form.

A typical example:
Convert ##r = \cos \theta## to rectangular form.
Solution: Multiply both sides by r,
##r^2 = r\cos \theta##
##x^2 + y^2 = x##
##x^2 - x + y^2 = 0##
##x^2 - x + 1/4 + y^2 = 1/4##
##(x - 1/2)^2 + y^2 = 1/4##, a circle whose center is at (1/2, 0) with radius = 1/2

In this example, multiplying by r is valid, as the original equation already has r = 0 (when ##\theta = \pi/2 + k\pi##. So multiplying by a variable did not change the solution set in this example.

What are variables in an equation and how do they affect multiplication and division?

Variables in an equation are symbols that represent unknown quantities. In multiplication and division, variables can affect the result by changing the value of the equation.

How do you solve an equation with variables being multiplied or divided?

To solve an equation with variables being multiplied or divided, use the inverse operation to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. For example, if the variable is being multiplied, divide both sides by that number to cancel it out.

What are the rules for multiplying and dividing equations with variables?

The rules for multiplying and dividing equations with variables are the same as for regular numbers. When multiplying or dividing, remember to perform the operation on both sides of the equation to keep it balanced.

Can you multiply or divide equations with variables and numbers?

Yes, you can multiply or divide equations with variables and numbers. Just remember to apply the operation to both sides of the equation to keep it balanced.

What are the applications of multiplying and dividing equations with variables in scientific research?

Multiplying and dividing equations with variables are commonly used in scientific research to solve complex equations and analyze data. It allows scientists to manipulate and understand relationships between different variables in an equation.