Multiplying Uncertainties in Different Units

In summary, according to Dale, the standard error in impulse, ##\sigma_I##, is related to the standard errors in its input variables, ##F## and ##t##, through the covariance equation ##\sigma_{Ft}=0##.
e2m2a
TL;DR Summary
How do you multiply quantities with their uncertainties when the units are different?
I could not find any clear explanation on multiplying quantities with different units while including their uncertainties. For example, how would you compute the following product with their uncertainties? 3.4 Newtons +/- .12 Newtons x 1.7 seconds +/- .23 seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
You treat it the same as any other uncertainty. You have the formula ##f(F,t)=F \ t## so according to the standard propagation of uncertainty $$\sigma^2_f=\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial F} \right)^2 \sigma^2_F + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \right)^2 \sigma^2_t + 2 \frac{\partial f}{\partial F} \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \sigma_{Ft}$$

Notice that the units work out naturally.

Dale said:
You treat it the same as any other uncertainty. You have the formula ##f(F,t)=F \ t## so according to the standard propagation of uncertainty $$\sigma^2_f=\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial F} \right)^2 \sigma^2_F + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \right)^2 \sigma^2_t + 2 \frac{\partial f}{\partial F} \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \sigma_{Ft}$$

Notice that the units work out naturally.
Sorry, I don't understand your reply. A little over my head. Could you give me a concrete example?

e2m2a said:
Sorry, I don't understand your reply. A little over my head. Could you give me a concrete example?
In your case, if the uncertainty in ##F## is un correlated with the uncertainty in ##t## then ##\sigma_{Ft}=0## so the last term drops out. Then $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial F}=t$$ and $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=F$$ and you already know ##F = 3.4##, ##\sigma_F = 0.12##, ##t = 1.7##, and ##\sigma_t= 0.23##. So just plug in and calculate.

Likes Ibix
e2m2a said:
You are trying to calculate a quantity called impulse, ##I##, which satisfies ##I=Ft##. The standard error in ##I## is what you are looking for, and is ##\sigma_I## (@Dale called this ##\sigma_f##). This relates to the standard errors in ##F## and ##t##, ##\sigma_F## and ##\sigma_t## respectively, and their covariance, ##\sigma_{Ft}##, through the formula Dale gave.

You gave us ##\sigma_F## and ##\sigma_t##. Do you know how to calculate the partial differentials? If not, it's really easy - ##\frac{\partial I}{\partial F}## is the derivative of ##I## with respect to ##F## when everything else is treated as a constant. Finally, do you think your measurement error in ##F## depends on your measurement error in ##t##? If yes, you need to measure the covariance. If not (which I would think is the case) then ##\sigma_{Ft}=0## and you can ignore the last term.

Plug in the numbers - you'll find that each term has units of ##(\mathrm{Ns})^2##, so the units work out.

Likes Dale

1. How do you multiply uncertainties in different units?

Multiplying uncertainties in different units involves converting all units to a common unit before performing the multiplication. This ensures that the units of the final result are consistent.

2. What is the rule for multiplying uncertainties in different units?

The rule for multiplying uncertainties in different units is to first convert all units to a common unit, then multiply the numbers and add the absolute uncertainties in each number.

3. Can you multiply uncertainties in different units if the units are not related?

No, you cannot multiply uncertainties in different units if the units are not related. In order to perform the multiplication, the units must be able to be converted to a common unit.

4. What happens to the units when multiplying uncertainties?

The units of the final result when multiplying uncertainties will be the product of the units of the numbers being multiplied. For example, if the numbers have units of meters and seconds, the final result will have units of meters times seconds.

5. Is there a limit to the number of uncertainties that can be multiplied?

No, there is no limit to the number of uncertainties that can be multiplied. However, it is important to keep track of the units and ensure they are consistent throughout the calculation.