Multivariable CalculusParametrization of equations.

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding parametrization and vector representation of curves, which is making it difficult to find unit tangent vectors and the length of curves. They are asking for resources or for someone to explain the topic in simpler terms. They have tried attending classes, reading the textbook, and watching videos on Khan Academy, but may also benefit from checking out OpenCourseWare from MIT.
umbabala

Homework Statement

I'm Having a hard time grasping what seems to be a simple topic-the parametrization and vector representation of curves...As a result it's making finding unit Tangent vectors and the length of Curves a nightmare :(

Please does anyone have any good resources they would recommend I use?
Or could someone dumb down this topic for me?

Any help will be really appreciated..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't seem to be having problems with linear equations,but square roots,squares and other powers make me go blank..

I've attended classes,tried to read my textbook and checked for videos on you tube.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also try the videos from OpenCourseWare of MIT. They have videos on Multivariable Calculus.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#mathematics

thanks!

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with two or more independent variables.

2. What is parametrization of equations?

Parametrization is a process of representing a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. It allows us to describe a geometric object using a set of equations or functions instead of just a single equation.

3. Why is parametrization useful in multivariable calculus?

Parametrization is useful because it helps us to simplify and solve complex equations involving multiple variables. It also allows us to visualize and analyze curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

4. What are some common parametric equations used in multivariable calculus?

Some common parametric equations used in multivariable calculus include parametric equations for lines, planes, circles, and ellipses. Other examples include parametric equations for curves such as parabolas, hyperbolas, and spirals.

5. How is parametrization related to vector calculus?

Parametrization is closely related to vector calculus as it involves the use of vector-valued functions to describe geometric objects. In fact, parametrization is often used in vector calculus to compute line integrals, surface integrals, and other important concepts.