Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Chain rule for higher order derivatives

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    Hello,

Given is the function

f = f(a,b,t), where a=a(b) and b = b(t). Need to express first and second order derivatives.

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}[/itex] should be just that, nothing more to it here, correct?

But

[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}[/itex] [itex]\frac{da}{db}[/itex] [itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}[/itex] [itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex], by the chain rule, correct?

I need to express [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex], but the above chain rule puts the total derivative [itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex] in the expression and it gets messy. I mean, how do I express

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex]?

Then I need also [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t^2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial a^2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial b^2}[/itex].

Anyone well versed in partial derivatives?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    Let me try to clear it up a bit

Let f = f(a,b,t) where a=a(b(t)), b=b(t)

Then

[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂a}[/itex][itex]\frac{da}{db}[/itex][itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂b}[/itex][itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂t}[/itex], correct?

How does one express

[itex]\frac{d^2f}{dt^2}[/itex]=?

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    Okay, Let me simplify this to

Let f = f(a,b) where a=a(b)

Then

[itex]\frac{df}{db}=\frac{∂f}{∂a}\frac{da}{db} + \frac{∂f}{∂b}[/itex], correct?

How does one express

[itex]\frac{d^2f}{db^2}[/itex]=?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook